Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. statesys logging bug

Noticed a snip in the statesys.log that seems incorrect.

~SQL Replication type has not been set for G:\SCCM\inboxes\auth\statesys.box\outgoing\kqnoukh5.SMW, replicating to (oma), inbox: \\<ServerFQDN>\SMS_<sitecode>\inboxes\replmgr.box

Notice where it says replicating to and then gives what seems like it should be a site code. We notice that in some cases this message actually references the correct site code but most of the time is just some random combination of 3 characters.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Troubleshooting & Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • DataGrid view for Value UI for Collections

When creating a Device or User collection and editing the Query Statement it would be extremely useful to have all the Values applicable for the query that you create to be listed in a DataGrid instead of what's I'm assuming today is a ListBox or similar. A DataGrid would improve the user experience with sortable columns for instance.

As for the amount of returned items, it would also make sense to be able to increase the amount by allowing the user to set the maximum limit themselves.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Show PercentComplete in Software Center when installing updates

When installing updates (especially CU´s for Win10/Server2016) it can take a long time until they finished installing.
        To show the user that the installation is not frozen or something the “PercentComplete” that you can see in the UpdateDeployment.log should be visible in the Software Center

2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add the ability to trend result count of a collection

Many of us deal with applications that have strict licensing. When I think of how to do it, you could do it in AI maybe and have it not do across all installed applications but have it as a possibility on a discovered application... Right click the application (TREND), that would spur the auto creation of a collection, report item, a stored procedure.... The stored procedure would simply do a count of the number of devices in the collection and write that out to the installed application trending table. So now I have the ability to not only show how…

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Removal of 'Update flag' in the collections' properties should work

To remove the 'Update' flag within the property window of a collection isn't enough to stop the update. You need to set the schedule to 'none'. --> To remove the Update Flag should be enough.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Right click to view deployments and collections (and remove)

In the console when we right click users and devices add "view assigned deployments" and "view assigned collections" without us needing to go into the properties window. Also give the option to remove them from the collection there as well, without actually having to navigate to the collection. This would be nice for quicker troubleshooting and problem resolution. Also add "view assigned deployments" to the right click menu of collections too.

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • It would be great in the Software Updates workspace or node in the console when you are viewing all updates to be able to scope of filter th

We manage both servers and workstations in our SCCM primary site. It would be great in the Software Updates workspace or node in the console when you are viewing all updates to be able to scope of filter the applicability to a collection.

Since we use the console to build software update groups based off of applicability of the updates for both servers and workstations and two different groups deploy it would be great to be able to only see what is needed for either just workstations or just servers or even better just browse to a collection and then…

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • SCCM Discovery Full discovery polling schedule for particular Active Directory Containers

Is it possible to add a customized feature in Discovery in future versions of SCCM? i.e. In the mentioned discovery methods can there be an option to run a full discovery on particular Active Directory Containers

•Active Directory Group Discovery
                  •Active Directory System Discovery
                  •Active Directory User Discovery

For e.g. I take example for Active Directory Group Discovery, in that i have mentioned the below OUs,if i use "Full discovery polling schedule" then it becomes effective on all below mentioned OUs, so i just need to run this option for an particular OU mentioned in my Active Directory Group Discovery…

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Client Discovery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Network Connectivity Graph / Map of possible connection issues

Display a map or graph of each site server that reports back to the Primary with Green, Yellow, or Red lines that show connectivity issues that could be caused by firewall or network problems.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Make all disabled text controls uneditable instead

Please make all disabled text controls uneditable instead. This allows for copy/paste for a value that is not changeable but it can still be copied and pasted.

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • change automatic agent upgrade behaviour

currently using the automatic client upgrade process on servers causes the SCOM agent to be stopped ahead of the upgrade causing hundreds of SCOM alerts that then need closing or investigating. The option of "don't upgrade servers" still causes the SCOM agent to be stopped.

Either provide the option not to stop the SCOM agent during client upgrade or honour the "don't upgrade servers" check before you stop the SCOM agent.

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Client Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • While creating task sequence media a lot of time is wasted when you only see afterwards (or during use) that it would fail.

There should be a check at the very beginning of creation whether or not the Variables.dat would be exceeding its limit of 32MB.

It takes a lot of time to create media, and when you only find out afterwards that the Variables.dat is much bigger in size and thus the Task Sequence would fail, a lot of time is wasted

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Update all instances of package in a task sequence

We have multiple packages that are used by multiple steps during a task sequence (scripts packages and custom software packages that take multiple steps to install). Since said package might be referenced by a half dozen or dozen steps, when a package revision is made, all references must be updates... which is easy to miss some. It would be great to update the first step referencing the package, then click a button to 'Update all References' and every other step that references the old package gets updated to the new package.

The whole purpose here is we don't update existing…

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Thanks for the feedback.

We’ve started work on this item – https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8339997-daisy-chain-task-sequences-osd-and-non-osd – this will allow ‘modular’ task sequence

I think this will solve your ask too. In your case you would update one task sequence – that task sequence would be referenced by others. One it’s updated with the new scripts package for example, then all task sequence that call that one will have the updated scripts.

Does that address your scenario?

• Increase results displayed or enable a filter window for criterion selection when creating a query for collection membership.

Currently when creating a collection based on installed software or software version there is a limit to the returned results based on criterion. If the item you are looking for is far enough down the list, you can't see it to select it. Adding additional rows to display on the return or a filter window would be greatly beneficial

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Pop outs in the console

The console is not very multi-monitor friendly. There are many times where I have to keep switching between the monitoring tab and one of the other tabs to troubleshoot problems. It would be nice if we could pop out certain parts of the console into new windows. It would be nice if we could do this to every node, but just doing it to the five tabs (Tools also) would be great. I wouldn't have to have so many copies of the console open to get the job done.

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  Noted  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Timeout and Reset/Restart TransientError BITS jobs

We are having issues with the metadata on the update occupying the CPU on our SCCM management point which causes TransientErrors on any of the BITS jobs that are in process during the CPU timeout.

The problem is that the commands to reset the BITS queue on the SCCM clients don't work even in the built-in Administrator account with elevated powershell as there isn't "sufficient permissions." forcing us to reinstall the client on ALL of our machines.

SCCM BITS jobs should retry or rerun after being in the TransientError state for some time, maybe 15-30 minutes.

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Client Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • IBCM for Linux/Unix

IBCM does not work for Linux/Unix.

Can this be looked at, or could the option to use a 'gateway' server (like OpsMgr) be looked at.

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Linux/Unix  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Treat Deployment Scheduling Software available time like a Collection maintenance window

The Deployment Scheduling "Software available time" is a one-time setting. Any newly imaged workstations built after that time will receive software update packages at any time during the business day. Unlike Collection maintenance windows, which only apply to the execution time for the software packages, there is no way (that I know of) currently to control the time of the download of the packages.

Either/or
                                      1) Provide a daily "Software available time" start time
                                      2) Tie the software available time to a Collection's maintenance window
                                      3) Define a maintenance window for "Software available for downloading".

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Shorten Upgrade Readiness pull timeframe

Currently OMS Upgrade Readiness updates changes daily however ConfigMgr pulls that information on a weekly basis per DMPDownloader.log it states it will pull every 10800 minutes as shown here.

---
                                        Download OMS upgrade analytics
                                        OMSUpgradeAnalyticsDownload finished
                                        OMS Upgrade Analytics Download interval is: every 10080 minutes
                                        ---

This is once a week timeframe and should be way closer to OMS update cycle. Perhaps even configurable?

For example I use the auto created collections from Readiness to then advertise an in-place TS to. This collection is from the Ready "bucket" in Readiness. If we have a system that is a…

2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Remove localization from Software Update -reports

Using localization in the built-in software update reports is showing the update names in foreign languages (based on the locale settings of the console user is using).

Atleast give an option to force the language to be either localized or changed to something that the report viewer can choose.

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Language/translation issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base