Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Virtual environment management

We cannot have AppV connection groups be successfully managed by current branch SCCM Virtual Environments.
    It looks like:
    - an application cannot be part of more than one virtual environment
    AND
    - an application cannot have more than one deployment type in a virtual environment

According to what can be found in the documentation, it should be possible to achieve what we want.
    - Old whitepaper (not anymore officially available, but we still have it): http://www.getonict.nl/docs/app-v-5-configuration-manager-2012-sp1-integration.pdf “Applications are allowed to be in multiple virtual environments to allow a single package to communicate with multiple, separate applications.”
    - SCCM Current Branch…

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Better Driver and Driver Package Management

Driver Management within the console is unacceptably slow (still). We manage 60+ unique Models across Windows 7 all the way up through Windows 10. As a result there are a LOT of drivers to maintain and manage. With SCCM 2007, we had the ability to at least break these down in folders. With sccm 2012 you removed the ability to import directly to a folder. The trade-off was "categories" however, it is still incredibly slow to search for drivers.

In addition, with SCCM 2007, we could just fill a folder with inf's and create a driver package from that without…

79 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Noted  ·  7 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Correct the "Add Selected Items" ribbon button functionality

Currently when you select a collection(s) in the console, then utilize the "Add Selected Item" button you are able to functionally add the collection(s) selected to another collection as a member, however it does not actually add the member of the selected collection(s) to the target collection just the root collection itself.

Example A:
        1. Open Console and navigate to Administration \ Assets and Compliance \ Device Collections \ Select a collection.
        2. Click the "Add Selected Items" button and then "Add selected items to existing device collection"
        3. Select the existing collection that is to be the target

The…

79 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Cloud Management Gateway (as CSP)

With 1610, the Cloud Management Gateway feature arrived. Although it's a Pre-Release feature, as Cloud Solution Provider we're UNABLE to use/implement this. And so are our customers...!

When you try to set this up from the ConfigMgr console, a prerequisite is the Azure Management Certificate, which can't be configured as CSP-tenant because this needs the Classic Azure Portal (ASM). This is unacceptable for us, as CSP, as we would have to instruct our customers to get an Azure Subscription separately.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/cie/2016/11/28/azure-management-certificates-and-publishing-setting-file-with-csp-subscriptions/

79 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            7 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Remote Control of Mobile devices using SCCM/Intune

SCCM/Intune is lacking one very important feature for MDM - Remote Control of Mobile devices(Windows Phone, IOS, Android platform) which is crucial for enterprises which have big departments whose employees are remote workers and uses tablets or/and phones as primary business tool and often require remote support on this devices. This feature is already implemented in almost any serious MDM solution on market for a while.

78 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Mobile Device Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Distribution Points are by default NOT assigned the same priority

CURRENT FUNCTIONALITY

When a new Distribution Point (DP) whether it is a normal DP or a Pull DP is installed to a ConfigMgr 2012 R2 site, the priority assigned to this new DP is always the same by default.

REQUEST FOR CHANGE

It is often desired that Pull DPs are by default assigned lower priority than the normal DPs.

MORE INFORMATION

When operating a site with many (hundreds of) DPs installed, the normal DPs serve as source distribution points for the Pull DPs. It is therefore desired, that those normal DPs will have the new package files copied over before…

77 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We do have some intelligence for Pull DPs. For example, if the content is not available on any of the source DPs yet, we don’t send out the instructions to Pull DP.

Let us know if you have any additional comments OR see this behave differently.

• More Intelligent Client Cache

With SCCM 2012 we got the single instance store on the back end which reduces the need for storage significantly on the server side but on the client side there's no optimization whatsoever.
                If you for example have 2 applications or deployment types which are using the same or almost the same content they are downloaded both separately. This has a negatively impact on the disk space you need to reserve for the client cache but also on the bandwidth used to download almost twice the same content. I believe this can be done better.
                Many folks had to configure…

77 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Client Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Maintenance window relative to patch Tuesday

Maintenance window relative to patch Tuesday

It would be very helpful to be able to set maintenance windows to be relative to Patch Tuesday. For example, apply patches on the 1st Saturday after patch Tuesday, or the second Sunday after patch Tuesday. Since patch Tuesday changes each month, the current "second Saturday of the month" type options are not useful when Patch Tuesday could fall before or after that depending on the calendar.

76 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    Noted  ·  7 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • An option to install only on Corporate owned devices

Just as we can choose to only install applications on user's Primary devices, it would be great with the same option for Corporate Owned devices. Then we can deploy certificates, wifi, email, apps and so on to the User and if the user uses a Corporate owned device he will get it installed. It would save time, speed and preserve the User first concept!

74 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      4 comments  ·  Mobile Device Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Remote tools - client setting to change client service to Automatic startup

One of the biggest issues I hear with the Remote Tools is that when you restart a machine it takes a couple of minutes before you can remote control it again. This is due to the delayed start of the service. I assume that this cannot be changed per default but give us the option using a client setting to change it to Automatic instead of using a GPO would be really sweet!
                      This is very similar to the following feedback item. https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8471107-fix-remote-control-bug-after-client-reboot#comments

74 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Improved automation and extensibility by exposing Configuration Manager functionality through a REST web API

Exposing Configuration Manager functionality through RESTful web API's would open up a whole new world for interacting with ConfigMgr.
                        E.g. a web Admin console and easier integration with Service Management Automation (SMA).
                        It should also be easier for 3rd party vendors to create new web based solutions for say an self-service portal or a Windows App for tracking an OS or application deployment on a mobile device or phone.
                        Personally I would really like any easier way to interact with ConfigMgr. when running in Windows PE (OS Deployment) or a web portal for non-admins to provision new or existing machine…

72 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          5 comments  ·  SDK and Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • List DP jobs for secondary sites in DP Job Queue Manager

Please provide a solution in DP Job Queue Manager to view the job status in secondary sites.

72 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Task Sequence Error Dialog Box Needs to Show Step Name

The error dialog box for the task sequence shows the error code, but does not show you what step threw the error.
                            - Show the step name on the default error dialog box.
                            - The modal dialog box for errors goes directly over the progress dialog box, so you can’t see the step from there without using the mouse.
                            - You may not have mouse support, especially when you are RDPing into a box with a VMware or Hyper-V console… which means this is REALLY frustrating

72 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add more features to Remote Control

Implement
                              - Buttons like Open the Windows 8/10 charms bar.
                              - Windows Shortcuts.
                              - allow x sessions to one Client.
                              - usable Multi-Montior Support
                              - Data Transfer Features

Teamviewer functions should be the baseline.

71 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                Noted  ·  10 comments  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Start ProgressUI after reboot in Task Sequence at logon screen (non OS TS)

When you use Task Sequences (TS) to deploy software (non OS TS) and there is a reboot inside of the TS there will be no ProgressUI at the logon Screen after the reboot. So you can't see the Progress of the running TS or there is a TS running.
                                If You logon, after a short time the ProgressUI will start.
                                We started a MS Case (REG:116092814729429): This is a expected behavior because it's not planned for out of WinPE stage.

Please implement the start of the ProgressUI after the reboot inside of the TS, so we can see the Progress…

71 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Status Messages in the SCCM Console

Status messages are amazingly helpful in the SCCM console, but difficult to get to. For instance, whoever wrote the status messages for Task Sequence deployments did an amazing job, yet I cannot access these without making a custom query! This is an amazing troubleshooting tool that is hidden from the average user.

I'd like to get access to status messages from the object that makes the status message. For instance, if I right click on a task sequence deployment, I want to be able to view all status messages associated with that object. If I right click on a distribution…

71 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Please fix the CmRCViewer does not correctly map mouse cursor to screen when Win 8.1/10 DPI scaling is enabled

Please fix the "CmRCViewer does not correctly map mouse cursor to screen" when Win 8.1/10 DPI scaling is enabled bug, as this currently makes the feature completely useless for us. We have no idea where we're clicking. This issue will be more prevalent as more and more high-DPI screens come on the market.

Bug ID: 433170 in SMS Bug Database
                                    PSS case ID: 116053014223835

71 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      8 comments  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add TFPBlockSize and TFTPWindowsSize to the DP configuration page in the Admin Console

It would great to be able to configure TFTPBlocksize and TFTPWindowsSize on PXE-enabled DPs from the Configuraiton Manager console, and not having to edit the registry or to use Configuration Item/Baseline to do this. An option on the PXE tab in the Distribution Point properties please?!

69 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • SCCM client ScriptExecutionTimeout

Please make the SCCM client's ScriptExecutionTimeout attribute a parameter that can be configured within Client Settings policy. This would be the best way to help address the "In-line script execution time-out... DiscoverApp failed (0x87d00321)

69 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add the ability to deploy and manage drivers post OS deployment

what would be great to see is a mechanism which would allow for the deployment of drivers to client computers post the OSD. ideally it would be fantastic if it can use the same driver package as is used in the OS Deployment to save the administrative overhead needing to have 2 different ways to deploy updated drivers like we need to today where we package the drivers for OS deployment, while to deploy to the existing hardware we need to depend upon the vendors installation package which in some cases don't allow silent installation so requires a large amount…

68 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base