Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 175 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow us the ability to view all variables and their values that are available in a task sequence (both built-in and custom) via a gui

While testing some new functionality in SCCM 1602 current branch I inadvertently searched for a possible new variable using the 'set dynamic variable' step.

Unfortunately that doesn't list read only variables in the 'existing variables' list (read only variables begin with _). It would be awesome if this gui would list all built-in variables (including read-only ones) as this would make searching for a particular variable easier than having to google or bing it.

Secondly, how about the option to list all custom defined variables in this gui, along with their values (if any). today we get the following headings…

174 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        Noted  ·  sangeevsangeev responded

Thanks for the feedback.

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

• Multi Tenant support for Microsoft cloud services integrated with ConfigMgr

We hear this request a lot, so I'm adding it here.
        ConfigMgr integrates with many Microsoft Cloud Services:
        * WUFB
        * WSFB
        * Windows Upgrade Analytics
        * OMS
        * etc
        For each of the above services, sometimes a company may have multiple tenants. Please allow ConfigMgr to manage multiple tenants for each of these services.

165 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          7 comments  ·  multi-tenant/ISP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Would like to replace the Windows defender icon with the SCEP icon when managed by Endpoint Protection

In windows 10 when managed by SCCM+Endpoint Protection, we get Windows Defender as the Endpoint Protection client, which is fine as they use the same engine.

However the icon is for Windows Defender which doesn't make sense.

Can we change it to the SCEP icon instead which would make more sense and go along with the installed software SCEP in control panel which does have the correct icon (in Programs and Features).

Having the SCEP icon would be a nice visual clue (aside from looking at applied policies) that SCEP was managing Antivirus rather than Windows itself

163 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Endpoint Protection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make automatic client upgrade more intelligent to not break other running installations

Right now, the automatic Client upgrade scheduled Task is not aware of any running installations. So if appenforce.log shows a running Installation and at the same time the randomly timed scheduled tasks kicks in, the Installation cannot finish without error and will randomly leave the Installation or the SCCM Client itself in a unhealthy state. A reinstallation is the only way out.

Repro steps
            - Activate automatic Client Upgrade in Hierarchy settings
            - Exclude some test clients from automatic client upgrade
            - Create an Application with a deploymenttype using a custom script
            - As the script, use a batch file…

156 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Client Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Software Center: Add the ability to customize Software Center

Create a Software Center Builder similar to the Admin Console Builder application. The ability to customize the Software Center is a frequent ask from customers and this would provide the ability to customize elements to improve end user usability, such as hiding elements that may confuse customers.

144 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                31 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Apply all deployed applications step in OSD

A step during OSD that queries SCCM for the applications deployed to a machine. If any are deployed to collections the machine is a member of they are installed one at a time, performing any restarts untill the whole list is complete. This should be an integrated step rather than implemented inconsistently by third-parties in PS or IIS

141 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  Noted  ·  5 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Compliance Settings

When defining a Configuration Item with Powershell have the possibility to influence the behavior of the script (eg -noprofile, setting allowed time to run)

136 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    Noted  ·  8 comments  ·  Compliance Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • OSD - Deploy TS to User groups

Would be nice to be able to advertise Task Sequences to specific users or groups. We have some operating system deployments that we would like only certain users to run, support staff for instance.

135 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      9 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Windows 10 Servicing Dashboard: Make it clickable

When I go to the Windows 10 Servicing Dashboard, I got a nice PieChart of the Windows 10 Clients and their Version.
                      But when I click on the PieChart, nothing happens. It would be great to have the same experience on this Dashboard like on the SCEP Dashboards.
                      That means, if I click on the PieChart one of the Windows 10 Version, a new collection would be opened, with the corresponding Devices.

134 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        6 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Exclude Updates

The ability to exclude a single or multiple updates with a simple Right Click > Exclude or Menu item.

133 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          11 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Remote-wipe feature for Windows 10 desktop managed by SCCM agent (SCCM agent / Intune MDM dual management)

Currently, it is not supported to remote-wipe Windows 10 desktop managed by SCCM agent.
                          Intune MDM have ability to remote-wipe Windows 10 desktop, but Intune MDM and SCCM agent dual management is not supported.
                          We really need supported option to remote-wipe Windows 10 managed by SCCM agent like Intune MDM and SCCM agent dual management option.

130 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            6 comments  ·  Mobile Device Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Applications - Provide a means to have other applications run after an application is installed.

There is the ability to specify dependencies for Applications, however the ability to run another Application POST install would be awesome. Often when an application is installed there is a post configuration task that needs to run.

129 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              Noted  ·  13 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • F8 Troubleshooting Environment Steroids (F8TES)

Replace the OSD Boot Image "Enable CMD Support (testing only)" feature with something that is more robust, helpful, and useful outside of testing like the F8 Troubleshooting Environment Steroids (F8TES).

Info: Display full name of task sequence and its ID
                              Info: Display full name of TS Deployment and its ID
                              Info: Display full name and type of error step
                              Info: Display error code
                              Info: (Stretch Goal) Display useful error message for top 10 errors

Button: “Open Command Prompt”
                              - Launches the command prompt
                              - Defaults to Insert instead of Overwrite (it currently defaults to overwrite in the WinPE phase)

Button:…

128 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                12 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • When a console crashes and you are editing a task sequence, allow sedo unlock if user name matches yours

It happened to me yesterday with SCCM 1602 CB, I was editing two task sequences at the same time, trying to copy a section from one into the other when the console crashed. I needed the work done and this didn't help as as soon as I started the console again I got the familiar message shown below. The problem is you have to wait 30 minutes for the sedo lock to be removed or use PowerShell cmdlets to try and remove the lock.

I don't think that is necessary at all as there is already a retry button on…

128 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  6 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Collection Query re-design request

I am looking the issue/design from SMS 2003 to SCCM 2012 version. I am not sure if any purpose must be behind of this design of collection default query select * from sms_r_system.
                                  Whenever a user create the query based device collection, if there is any modification in the query
                                  He/she shouldn’t remove the entire query and apply OK.
                                  If user applies ok, its automatically select * from sms_r_system query will enabled, it will targed to all system which is “All system” as limiting collection.
                                  It has serious issue in most the companies, deployment is performing by L1 or L2…

126 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    6 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Software Center: Show only available Software (Hide already installed req. Software)

New Software Center: show only available Software which the user actually can install/uninstall (hide already installed req. Software, which is installed as System)

126 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      Noted  ·  11 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • We hope to Enhanced SCEP Client's Advanced Protection Features

We hope to Enhanced SCEP Client's Advanced Protection features

① Add Exploit Prevention Features
                                      ② Add Network Intrusion Protection Features
                                      ③ Add Network Filter URL Protection Features
                                      ④ Add Anti-Ransomware the File Backup Features
                                      ⑤ Improved Anti-Malware Engine More Malware Detection
                                      ⑥ Improved user interface operation and function
                                      ⑦ Improved Behavior Analysis Detected Malware subsequent rollback Features

123 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        Noted  ·  5 comments  ·  Endpoint Protection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add support for "Hotfix" Update classification

SCCM should be able to support all updates made available in the MS catalog.
                                        The MS Update Catalog lists hotfixes which makes WSUS more useful than SCCM. If WSUS can rollout a hotfix why can't SCCM?
                                        Example KB2728738 is a hotfix available in the MS Update Catalog (http://Catalog.Update.microsoft.com/v7/Site/Search.aspx?q=2728738) yet it can not be imported to SCCM as the "Hotfix" class is not available.
                                        MS Support suggest to follow an non MS consultants blog http://ccmexec.com/2012/02/installing-multiple-windows-7-hotfixes-msu-with-sccm/
                                        As MS continue to create more and more Hotfixes in replacement of proper updates this makes SCCM Update component less and less useful.

122 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • add possibility to logoff user for Software Installation and prevent login during installation.

It would be great to have a possibility to create a deployment where the User would be logged off during the installation of Software. Useful for Software like Java Runtime or Adobe Pro where a running application can prevent the installation.
                                          The User should be informed that an installation will be started and he will be logged off. The User should be not able to login during the installation.

122 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            Noted  ·  8 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base