Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ability to not include Autorun.inf when building SCCM OSD boot media.

Our Antivirus/malware tools blocks autorun.inf in our environment as well as it is a huge attack vector

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Support installation of packages/apps via dynamic variables in Standalone Media

At the moment standalone media deployments only work when the content is referenced directly by the task sequence. There are some actions like installing apps/packages using dynamic variables which do not work.

The pre-staged media wizard was changed with SCCM 2012 SP1 so that you can add additional pre-staged content. I would like to see a similar approach where you can add additional content to standalone media and then this is checked first when the dynamic install action runs. There is already a process for adding the variables to the media, the only part that is missing is the abilityā€¦

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Run PowerShell Script Success Codes

Would like to see the "Run PowerShell Script" task sequence task have the same Success Codes options as the "Run Command Line" task does. Would provide some additional control in the task sequences.

Currently to circumvent this I create a task sequence variable instead of an exit code to handle a subsequent step however I could likely do more if the Success Codes feature was available.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatically remediate Provisioning Mode if client is in this state for x days

If a Configuration Manager Client Agent stays more than 2 days in Provisioning Mode it would be helpful if the client leaves this mode. Otherwise the device will not be managed and it makes it impossible to detect such devices as no Compliance checks or anything else can be done on them. It is annoying especially in cases where you Upgraded the OS from a legacy version to Windows 10 and the client stays in Provisioning Mode.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback, updating status to completed.

We still have one open item for cleaning up the task sequence status from Software Center which weā€™re intending to address in our 1906 release.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback, updating status to completed.

SCCM 1902 fast Ring released today
    Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Update-1902-for-Configuration-Manager-current-branch-is-now/ba-p/376516
    Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1902

5. GUI Option for Offline OS Image Servicing Drive

When applying updates to a .wim file via offline image servicing the image and update files are copied to the C:\ drive of the site server. The only way to change this behavior from using the C:\ drive to something else is with the following method:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2013/07/15/customizing-offline-servicing-of-operating-system-images/

This is not ideal, and apparently dangerous as one commentor on that page states they may have broken their SCCM environment for not following the instructions exactly.

It would be better to have a simple GUI-based option to change this setting, or a least a registry key.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Display what distribution point is being used during a task sequence.

When using a task sequence I would like to know what DP is being used since we have multiple DPs and would hope that I'm not using one on the other side of town. IE......Applying Operating System from "Distribution Point" or Installing Application from "Distribution Point."

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. In Windows PE booting from Iso "Configure network settings" greyed out

When we are deploying a OS over a SCCM Boot Media Iso there is a possibility to define a IP, Gateway, Subnet ... If there is a tipping error the TS will fail and we have the possibility to push the previous button. In this Case the "Configure network settings" button is greyed out. Would be great if we could modify this settings

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Auto Apply Driver Timeout

The client appears to have a 8 min timeout for waiting for the Server to reply with available drivers. The server continues after this timeout and can still deliver results but the client has already failed the step.

Allow the 8 min timeout to be configurable.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. When creating stand-alone media from a CAS, allow primary site selection

Please add the ability to select a primary site or site code when creating stand-alone media from a CAS.

When creating stand-alone media today, it automatically sets the SCCM client to install using the site code of the site that is used to create the media. When using a CAS to create the media, this will cause the client to deploy without a usable site code.

You cannot currently override this behavior through setting installation properties in the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  sangeev responded

This was solved with bug 419146 – released in SCCM 2012 R2 Sp1. The code was updated to use SMSSITECODE=“AUTO

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

10. Task Sequence: Allow more than 9 applications in the Install Application step

Would love it if there was a way to allow more than 9 applications to be installed as a part of the install application task sequence step (not according to a dynamic variable list).

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Specify drive to cache data for creating task sequence media

When creating TS media, the cache is always downloaded to the temp folder for the user creating it. Our standard server config only build 100GB OS partitions which fill quickly. My admin PC has 256GB SSD primary with 1TB data drive. My SSD is filled with applications and other items but i have lots of free space on my data drive.
    Trying to create standalone media fills the remaining space on my SSD and eventually fails. The option to choose to cache the content to my data drive would work as there is a lot more space available.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Increase Log file size and retention for OSD

Client logs for OSD are constantly purged and overwritten. This can make troubleshooting difficult in a standard environment. For example, logs are saved to X:\Windows\Temp during winPE phases. This file system is destroyed upon reboot. Even after the WinPE phases, log files (especially smsts.log) are constantly overwritten.
    Please prevent logs from being lost or overwritten during OSD.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Display PackageID when viewing a task sequence step referencing content

Sometimes when making changes to a task sequence, you may be manipulating steps that reference a package with a common name. You can view the TS Package Reference but it doesn't tell you exactly which step may reference that package.

If you could view the package ID referenced by a step, when viewing that step, this would solve the problem!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add name of inf files to driver information in boot image

When looking at the driver files that are in a boot image, the only information available is the name of the driver. Many drivers have multiple versions but the same name. The only way to truly distinguish drivers with the same name is by the name of the inf file, which is not visible in the boot image drivers tab. This information can be found on the individual driver usage tab, but that requires selecting each driver individually and seeing if it's in the boot image. If there was a column in the boot image drivers page showing the nameā€¦

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Custom warning messages for high-impact task sequences not working

In SCCM 1702 only the middle text field of "user notification message text" will be taken!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  16. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  17. Export / Import TS fails with Install SW Updates step (SCCM CB - 1606)

If you have a TS with an Install Software Update step, the TS can not be exported and imported. The Import Wizard fails with a null pointer exception. After removing the Install Software Update step, the TS can be exporteted and imported. The same happens with the Import-CMTaskSequence Commandlet. Please fix this error.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. PXE affinity in Configmgr

We have implemented Configuration Manager 2012 R2 SP1 CU1, We verified Management point affinity works however it doesnā€™t work for PXE and PXE point randomly selects any Management Point.

We have a lot of firewalls and several MPs.

I could see below mentioned article with a workaround for untrusted forest.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2858397
    System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Client PXE boot may fail if the Management Point is in an untrusted forest

I could see similar not same feedback request
    https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8417961-osd-should-not-connect-to-internet-only-manageme
    OSD should not connect to "Internet-only" Management Points

It will be good idea to have PXE affinity like Management Point affinity

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add a "1024MB" option for WinPE Scratch Space

When I run DISM to add a language pack, I'm told that the recommended scratch space for WinPE is >1024MB. In ConfigMgr, I can only select up to 512MB for WinPE scratch space in my Boot Image. Could we add an option for 1024MB?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix the memory leak when editing Task Sequences

I consistently run into issues with TS's when making changes to them. Upon closing the TS or applying changes I will receive an error that says "There are too many steps in your TS...". But if I close the console and reopen it, I am able to make the exact changes and they will save fine. The problem usually happens towards the end of the day so I believe it is a memory leak of some kind. I started seeing the issue in 1610 and figured it would go away with new versions. Just updated to 1710 and the issueā€¦

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base