Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Switch to let SCCM install applications in OSD via admin account instead of trusted user

SCCM is great for deploying OS's, and MDT is great for customizing those images. I'm asking for a switch that allows SCCM to act like MDT when it comes to installing and customizing a reference image.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

3. would like to see a list of what devices failed OSD in the OSD Deployment Tab

Would like to be able to see a list of devices that have failed PXE boot

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Maximize import driver window when selecting drivers

When importing drivers to catalog, I get a window to select/tick drivers which the CM has read from inf files and import them. That window has very poor capability to scroll and view full paths and other info of drivers. It would be better, if I can set/fix/maximize the size of that window and drag columns how ever I like to. Now selectind and seeking between x86 and x64 folders, or OS folders is pain.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. PXE Limitation

In heirachy if there are multiple primary site when we try to reimage a PC where the DP is attached to primary site different from the one the PC is attached, PXE fail to start we need to delete the computer record so that it would be regonised has unknow computer post that image build goes through fine

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback

What’s happening here is the policies are not visible across different sites. So, if a client is already assigned to site A, the Management Point/Distribution Point on site B wonā€™t be able to access those policies and boot the client.

The guidance is to delete the record – same as what you’ve been using

We filed a documentation update to add the same information to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt627940.aspx

6. Reporting

instead of SCO require Feature in SCCM once image complete/fails should get report on email with list of apps,System,Name,Ipaddress,OU etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Handling of signed powershell scripts in OSD via Group Policy

Applications that utilize powershell as a detection method require that script to be signed with a code signing certificate. Code signing certificates are often managed through Active Directory Group Policy.

See: Appendix 3 in the Code-Signing Best Practices guide
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653556%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

The challenge is how to you implement a system during OSD where certificates are managed through GPO.

One could create a package that has certmgr and import the certificates; however, if there are any changes in the certs (revoked, expired, etc.) then there are multiple places to make that change.

In some environments the application developement group has no controlā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add /ResetBase to New-CMOperatingSystemImageUpdateSchedule

Now that optimization of the WIM and removal of superseded updates is available as an option for offline servicing in the console, it would be great if this option could be added as a switch to the New-CMOperatingSystemImageUpdateSchedule cmdlet. I use this cmdlet to automate scheduling of updates in an ADG against all my WIMs so it would be great if I could shrink them down at the same time without needing to do this in the console.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback.

Updating status to noted, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion for an explanation of each value.

We’ve addressed this in our 1902 release as well as the ability to import a single .wim from the multi-index .wim.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/get-started/manage-operating-system-images#BKMK_AddOSImages

As Vlad mentioned, the New-CMOperatingSystemImageUpdateSchedule CmdLet has -RemoveSupersededUpdates

I’ll update the status to completed if this addressed your ask. If not, then let us know any gaps.

9. Add 2 new options for MDT, define and use Deployment toolkit

Add
    MDT Define Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Package
    Use Defined Microsoft Deployment Toolkit

So you can define then just use the defined MDT Toolkit. This would make it easier when you have multiple Use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Package, in the TS. This way they wouldn't all have to be edited. So after you make a change/update your UDI for whatever reason usually applications upgrades.

This would same a major amount of time also ensure you don't miss one, and less time editing and testing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi. This reads like something that would be addressed with the ‘Daisy chain task sequences’ https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8339997-daisy-chain-task-sequences-osd-and-non-osd

With that you can updating a single referenced/child task sequence containing the MDT Package and any ‘parent’ task sequence will get that update too.

Let me know if that matches your ask and I’ll merge your votes with that item.

10. Upgrade Operating System Built-in Step: Add Option to Keep Files Only

Customer does not have the store installed and using the built-in TS step keeps files and apps. I know that the "OSDSetupAdditionalUpgradeOptions" variable can be used, but it would be nice to have the option on the built-in TS step.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for responding.

We cannot provide a different migration options for the reasons I outlined below. Anything other than ‘Applications, Data and Settings’ will leave the machine unmanaged – while we developed the new upgrade step we tested them all.

I’ll see if I can source steps for reinstalling the Store without having to complete a restore.

11. Greetings - I'd like to see some of util to help read log files. It could show the list of logs and what each one is for and click to view

Greetings - I'd like to see some of util to help read log files. It could show the list of logs and what each one is for and click to view

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We include CMTrace.exe in the boot images so logs can be read in WinPE, that tool is part of the SCCM Toolkit and can also be found on the site server under \OSD\Bin\\CMTrace.exe

For OS Deployment logs there’s a section here which helps – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427342.aspx – the main OS Deployment log is SMSTS.log

We have an open item for improving logging, copy logs etc – I’ll add your feedback to that item.

12. Expose some policy data through the SMS Provider

It would be great if there was a WMI class that we could query, or a method we could call, to verify if policy is targeted to a specific client. In complex OSD scenarios, there is no way to verify whether TS policy has been targeted to a device after modifying collection membership without accessing SQL directly. For example, a method that could be called with just the client GUID or resource ID and a specific Task Sequence policy GUID, simply returning True or False, would rock. This could be called every 30 or 60 seconds and the process couldā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support MUI for the "Restart Computer" TaskSequence action description visible to the user

Especially in MUI environments explaining why a reboot is required can lead to confusion on the users side. Supplying a short description is nice already, but it would be even cooler if it was configurable based on the users display language.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. AD computer object description

Setting the AD computer object description should be allowed inside a task sequence during the domain join operation.
    Whether or not this is on the dialog box, is not important to me. I'd be happy setting a TS variable (ie. OSDComputerObjectDescription)

Alternatively, we could use a PowerShell script using different credentials (which Task Sequences also do not allow). Similar to the way
    the "Run Command Line" allows the input of credentials.

Right now we have to use a kludgy "Run Command Line" using credentials and run
    a batch file that calls something like: PowerShell.exe -executionpolicy Bypass -command pscommandhere
    or: PowerShell.exeā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Adjust ZTIApplication to return error codes during installation

Currently, if an application fails to install due to a typo or error during install, the task sequence just continues on. It would be preferable to at least have an option for the task sequence to fail if an application did not get installed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add processor architecture (x64/x86) to Check Readiness step

Some task sequences can run only on the correct processor architecture e.g. cannot upgrade Win7 x86 to Win10 x64 or cannot install x64 OS to 32 bit device.

Add processor architecture (x64/x86) to Check Readiness step. Thus, the incorrect task sequence is immediately canceled if you try to install wrong architecture TS.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. DCR: OSD Task Sequence - Create Baseline of existing TS and allow Remediation

From my field experience I have seen many times OS Deployments which did not really succeed, because of Continue on error conditions. In most cases the reason was to not end up with systems staying in Provisioning Mode. I know some guys just "re-deploy" the TS with checks if everything was done properly. This brought up the idea - why not using Compliance Settings for this purpose? At least to check if the system meets the Desired Baseline. Everything needed should be stored in the Task Sequence anyway and it would allow a "Report" summary client side after Deployment.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  18. Re-think task sequence policy download in OS

Currently deployed task sequences create a lot of policy download and slow down the initialisation of a workstation. If they worked like in bootable media, or another way - I don't know if say downloading the TS policies as a zip would help?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add subfolder search to Task Sequence Install Package

When you use the action "Install Package" you can search for the package but it only searches the selected folder and not the structure. Could a switch be added to search subfolders?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base