Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

SCCM updates: User Experience - Reboot notifications

Here is the User experience for the update process as I understand it:

1. System tray balloon appears saying 'software changes are required'

2. System tray balloon appears saying 'downloading and installing software'

3. System tray balloon appears saying 'Restart required: Recently installed updates require your machine to be restarted'

4. *It is here I would like the larger temporary notification reboot window to appear but it doesn't.

5. Permanent notification reboot window appears and stays on the screen

I would like option 4 to be possible. Without this it seems quite easy for users to miss seeing the balloon notification and therefore not know that a restart is coming.

It would be good if there was an option in Client Settings > Computer Restart to automatically show the temporary restart notification window. It would also be good if there was an option here to permanently set the 'SCNotification.exe' in Notification Area Icons to 'show icon and notification' to further improve the visibility to users of pending restarts so they know to save their work before they leave their computer for lunch or when they go home.

I've attached an image of the temporary notification window I am talking about

Thanks,

Andrew

1,890 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    andrewjohnporter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

101 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, at least in part. There should be more options on the 'Computer Restart' client settings. A good start would probably mimicking the options we have for deadline behavior. Allow us to repeatedly remind the user that a restart is eminent before the last permanent notice is given.

1 2 3 4 6 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base