Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

active directory description

Add an column to the devices view that would display Active Directory descriptions in console.

267 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This can be done today w/ #SCCM 1802 (and previous versions too). I will mark started… and watch comments for why this doesn’t just work… before I mark this straight up completed…

Steps:
1) On the CAS (or standalone primary), go to Administration → Hierarchy Configuration → Discovery methods
2) right click on Active Directory System Discovery and bring up the Properties form. Active Directory Attributes tab, and then click on Custom. In the form that appears, type the name of the attribute. Click OK, and make sure you have added it as an attribute to discover. Run discovery after exiting properties form.
3) Now when you go to the Devices view and right click on a device and go to its Properties form, you will see the new attribute showing up there.

33 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dennis Wendt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

djam - this is not completed - We can get the Description field from Active Directory onto SCCM, properties of a device. The feature I would like to see ( and I think everyone is commenting on) is to be able to add a column in a collection to display the Description field from Active Directory.

• Dennis Wendt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone is right on track with this request.
    Adding custom columns to my workstations in device collections would be very useful..

Any update on this becoming a feature?

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hey djam,

we are currently using sccm cb 1810 and to my knowledge still no way to easily view ad description for devices from the console. Is this still being considered as a future feature?

The data is being collected and we can get the description if we follow the steps you have in the getting started note. I know personally I would really like it taken one step further and added to the UI so many devices can be quickly identified by ad description in the console. Would save me time daily if i could see the description without going into properties. All our computer names are L###### so without descriptions it makes hard to identify devices in the console.

• JorgenS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add Description as a column i Device management view. There should also be possible to add the same attrbutes that exist in AD.

• Joe Kuehl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've added Description as a discovered attribute. Now there needs to be a way to add Description as a column in the Devices view.

• SGM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Filtering by description from the column would be excellent.
    Will this feature be supported?

• Gerry Fitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvotes for all the comments! The ability to view the description attribute as a column is a must.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would need to be able to add description as a colomn with at least the functionnality to be able to filter from A-Z or Z-A

• Javier Negro Dieste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 all the comments. This is about visibility in the devices and collection views. This is an area that lacks customization in SCCM, being able to put custom collumns in this views.

• Glenn Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use this to keep track of our build versions and, yes, we can build queries and collections on it. But we need a column. Not just a column, but a filterable column.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping to be able to add a column in the console view for this so that you wouldn't have to click on the device and go to properties. This way you could sort the list as well by AD Description

• Denis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That way the description get into the device properties, but is it possible to have it as a column in the UI ??

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The hope is to be able to have ad description as a column in the console rather than having to hit properties of a device to view it.

• Igor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there was a misunderstanding. When I right click on a device I can perfectly see the description from AD.
    What I hope to get is that I can also see the description from AD in the Devices View directly. So I have a quick overview of devices of a collection for example and I don't have to open Properties individually to see the description.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base