Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

3rd Party Patching - SCUP Integration with SCCM Console

Integrate the SCUP tool on to SCCM Admin Console. This will give a single pane of glass view for all patching activities (including importing 3rd party patches).

3,785 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Prasanna K Jayapal [Microsoft ConfigMgr Product Team] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

94 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Richard Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see (and we don't use) SCUP as a way to manually create non-MS patches. Instead, it's a mechanism for non-MS parties to provide catalogues. While Adobe are about the only 1st-party vendor to provide there own catalogues, there a number of 3rd-party companies that provide multi-vendor catalogues you can subscribe to. We use PatchMyPC. This is a great help in getting updates into the system, but is still a somewhat manual process to sync the catalogue in SCUP, push the metadata to WSUS, then sync that back into ConfigMgr.

Ideally, I'd like to see ConfigMgr handle all that automatically. You provide CM with the catalogue URL and then, before it does the scheduled sync with MS Update, it first syncs any third party catalogues and pushes the data into WSUS. You can then use ADRs to create deployments of 3rd-party software exactly as you do with MS software.

• Andrew Malcolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It does seem like barely anyone besides Adobe even uses this feature, but it WOULD be really nice to have it baked right into the console. "Single pane of glass" is a powerful concept.

• JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Prasanna K Jayapal,

is there an update regaring this idea. Can we hope to get a solution next year?

• David Baur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am for having the same ability Secunia Patching has, as it stands, SCUP is very time consuming, and does not allow for Patch Customization. It appears Microsoft will never improve the 3rd party patching enough to be a true competitor....Every customer I have choses to manually create applications for 3rd party patches rather than use SCUP.

• Jason Wallace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better, just add the ability to deploy third party updates right into the core product.

While you're at it can you support the ability to track CVE numbers as well please

• Conor O'Farrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should just have the option to add the path/URL for the CAB file for the 3rd party product in the SUP config, eliminating SCUP altogether. Then you could select which products as we would with MS products. That would be a really nice feature. It may entice some more 3rd party vendors on board if they knew it was that easy.

• Kyle Gustafson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see SCUP as a basic tool that lets you do third party patches, but it requires a lot of work. Kind of like enterprise patching with WSUS; you can do it, but it would take a lot of work, hence SCCM for more robust capability.

I would recommend looking at a third party tool like SolarWindows Patch Manager or Secunia CSI. Both integrate with the console if you like and both are substantially more robust and save a lot of time with pre-built packages for standard third party apps like firefox, flash, java, and the like and they have much better wizards (at least Patch Manager does) for building custom packages when necessary.

• René Kierstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The vendors suppling cap files to be used with SCUP are limited, not even Microsoft delivers the files for their own howfixes.
    It would be great to have SCUP integrated in Configmgr console, but at the same time Vendors including MS, should start deliver the cap files.

• Steve Nowowiejski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get SCUP works, but it hasn't been updated in years. Why integrate an out-dated product?

The functionality should be integrated instead of it basically being a "plug-in".

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SCUP definitely could use integrating into SCCM. Its definitely showing its age and with some of the changes coming to Windows Update with Windows 10/Server "10" will it even continue to work?

• Josh Delaughter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know I'm probably a small minority, but the SCUP product is pretty intimidating for a first time user, and a lot of the documentation is really old.

1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base