Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Install and Shutdown / Install and reboot with Software Updates

In Windows client, after receiving software updates from the SUP, I want you to be able to use the" install and reboot / shutdown and update" botton.

701 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kazuo SaitoKazuo Saito shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan McNultyNathan McNulty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@dgr, I find myself using scheduled tasks more and more as well. If these hooks are available to the built in task scheduler, there is no reason that ConfigMgr can't tie in with those same hooks. For example, in addition to startup/shutdown and logon/logoff, Task Scheduler can kick off based on being idle for a specified period of time, on an event ID match, on session connect/disconnect, and workstation lock / unlock. Imagine the possibilities if we could key off those same options within ConfigMgr!

Whenever possible, we avoid notifying the end user of changes being made to their computer, and this added flexibility gives us control of involving the end user only when we want to rather than when we have to.

• dgrdgr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've done the task scheduler route in the past a few times and it generally works pretty well but needs a bunch of boilerplate code behind it to mitigate a number of possible failure/looping install issues.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be a VERY helpful. I would add, we should be able to also force the logoff to allow the application to install on the deadline.

This would greatly assist in upgrading applications that are running all of the time.

One real life example was the upgrade of office, our biggest failure event was due to users running/launching office apps during the upgrade (word is off not outlook right???).

It is vital to be able to run applications when a user cannot interfere, just like windows updates. As a matter of fact I would LOVE it if we had the option to run apps just like updates do at logon/off.

• Panu SaukkoPanu Saukko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One typical scenario for this feature would be that a user selects Install updates & restart when the user goes to lunch. After the lunch, the computer would be immediately available.

Now you can install the updates immediately, but without the restart option.

• Nathan McNultyNathan McNulty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the real key here is adding more events that can kick off an application (or even package). I'm sure we could make a more comprehensive list, but here's just a few examples that would be awesome to have:

Startup
        Logon
        Network Status Change (ex. Connected to Ethernet)
        At client check-in
        Logoff
        Shutdown
        Custom

If you did custom events, you could base it on creation or termination of applications (tie in with mtgmgr) or anything else you can dream of.

• JonasJonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
        It would also be nice to have a "install at shutdown" Feature. That would be helpful for many Notebook users. they dont log off, but they shutdown.

• HermanHerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SCCM-Agent could set a scheduled task to run at "logoff or logon" or write the information under "Currentversion\Run" in registry.

• Kym DyerKym Dyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am I missing something here? Doesn't the scheduling option allow "As soon as possible", "Log on" or "Log Off". I only ever use the first option, so maybe the other two don't work ... or maybe I'm right off track?

• Steven John CuthillSteven John Cuthill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed ! ( i would vote but run out )

i would also like to see the an option to " Install at Start up Only" or an option for "Install at shut-down Only" bit like how Group Policy currently manages MSI deployment.

• Tomas GatialTomas Gatial commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now only you can do is select "Install when no user is logged on", but this is no way if you have per-user applications.
        During user logon ccmexec may not be started (because have Delayed start), but during user logoff is running... so this should be option how to perform this operation.
        Another way how to do this is an idea of Roger G.:
        Check for running .exe, give the User the option to postpone
        https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8340111-check-for-running-exe-give-the-user-the-option-t
        This can be another solution for missing installation or uninstallation option of applications during user logon or logoff. Application will check if superseded app is running, if not the upgrade will start.

Feedback and Knowledge Base