Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Provide a Powershell PackageManagement Repository and perhaps management thereof

PowerShell PackageManagement is a unified interface to package management systems and aims to make Software Discovery, Installation and Inventory (SDII) work via a common set of cmdlets (and eventually a set of APIs). Regardless of the installation technology underneath, users can use these common cmdlets to install/uninstall packages, add/remove/query package repositories, and query a system for the software installed.

Providing a dashboard/portal with the ability to manage the NuGet repository underlying the packagemanagement solution would make SCCM more attractive over phasing it out to go towards Chocolatey Enterprise.

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Josh Cook shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extend the new Scripts feature to allow importing of scripts from external sources such as PowerShell Gallery, GitHub, TechNet Gallery, etc. or some sort of Scripts marketplace gallery.

• Mirko Colemberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there is the same idea here: PoSh register-PackageSource from Windows 10, would be nice to add a DP as a trusted Package Source

• Collin F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just noted PackageManagementProviderResource is in the gallery... Would be cool if ConfigMgr was an available PackageManagement provider (https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/issues/77)

Node $NodeName
    {
    #Install a package from the ConfigMgr gallery
    PSModule MyPSModule
    {
    Ensure = "present"
    Name = $Name
    RequiredVersion = "0.2.16.3"
    Repository = "ConfigMgr"
    InstallationPolicy="trusted"
    }
    }

• Collin F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm echoing this feature request. I'd add that combining this functionality w/ PowerShell DSC would make for a powerful combination in rapid server deployment scenarios in which I have demand requirements in which I cannot wait for inventory, collection evaluation, and deployment of a set of packages/applications, but instead could configure my DSC manifest/MOF to execute the packages I need through DSC or even on demand from client-side cmd line. It looks like PackageManagement resource for DSC is in development now: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2015/05/05/desired-state-configuration-resources-for-packagemanagement-providers/

Feedback and Knowledge Base