Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Have the ability to remove a CAS when only one primary site is left

Beginning with 2012SP1, we have the ability to add a CAS to an autonomous primary site. It could be interesting to reverse the proposition by having the ability to remove a CAS above a Primary when a CAS is no longer needed or has been set for a wrong reason.
I know that it could be done through creating another hierarchy and using migration tasks by this is quite difficult for it requires additional hardware.

225 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Stéphane PAPP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • O De Coo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To have the ability to remove the Site server from a CAS will help SCCM admins when the CAS is not longer needed or it was installed wrongly.
    Thank you.

• Andres Pae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We got rid of complex hierarhy of primary sites (bound to CAS) so only one PRI remained. Now as per MS suggestion - we want to remove CAS ( and there are other reasons to) . Migrating to new PRI seems to be lots of work and reconfiguration ( in our complex distributed network and branch office configuration) So just cuting out CAS would be much preferred. Please update.

• minuter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As per standard of IT Management we adhere to in everyday professional life: for anything which can be rolled out there should be possible to roll it back - hence if something can be added it should equally easy be removed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to do the reverse. I've seen a customer who has had so many network issues their sites kept dropping into maintenance mode, so disconnecting a primary from a CAS to be a standalone would give them some leeway until they have the resources to resolve their issues.

I think it would be great to have both ways of functionality for future releases.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also love a way to do this. I would add that it would be helpful to be able to consolidate everything to a single Primary site, so that you can remove both a CAS and other primary sites. We have a definite need for this in our environment.

• Dattu Gadhe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also looking for same solution i.e. remove CAS when we have single primary site left in infrastructure. I too believe till today migration is only option in this scenario. Beginning with 2012 SP1 we have ability to add CAS to primary site. It could be interesting if we can have ability to remove CAS when it is no longer required.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Microsoft at RTM gave guidance to use a CAS and then later changed that guidance. Please give us a way to correct that bad guidance by making the migration easier.

Feedback and Knowledge Base