Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Improved automation and extensibility by exposing Configuration Manager functionality through a REST web API

Exposing Configuration Manager functionality through RESTful web API's would open up a whole new world for interacting with ConfigMgr.
E.g. a web Admin console and easier integration with Service Management Automation (SMA).
It should also be easier for 3rd party vendors to create new web based solutions for say an self-service portal or a Windows App for tracking an OS or application deployment on a mobile device or phone.
Personally I would really like any easier way to interact with ConfigMgr. when running in Windows PE (OS Deployment) or a web portal for non-admins to provision new or existing machine for OS deployment.

147 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rico Rosenlund shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rico Rosenheim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on when this feature will enter production version..?
    Or do you have some cool new "Graph" capabilities stacked up for SCCM..

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty much all of these ideas could be done with SCORCH, but I agree a web API directly into SCCM would be better. In fact it would make SCORCH even more powerful since we wouldn't have to write a bunch of powershell to drive SCCM from SCORCH.

If a full blown web API isn't in the cards, then a better integration pack for SCCM<->SCORCH could bridge the gap. I've been working on building an IP but the scope is so broad that it's very slow progress. Typically I end up getting the function I need working and move on.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! More information on what we'd love to see below:

Would like to see a webservice to call (ideally REST) to interact with SCCM in a consistent, easily automated fashion to perform actions congruent with methods to interact with applications in our CI/CD pipeline. Being able to access SCCM in that manner will greatly improve its integration into DevOps and Agile methodologies. Specific abilities requested: 1. Application\package deployment (Create the application with dependencies and requirements, create query based collection, create deployment) 2. Add/remove resource to/from collection 3. Query database to gather information (e.g. resource health information, deployment status information)

Feedback and Knowledge Base