Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Improved automation and extensibility by exposing Configuration Manager functionality through a REST web API

Exposing Configuration Manager functionality through RESTful web API's would open up a whole new world for interacting with ConfigMgr.
E.g. a web Admin console and easier integration with Service Management Automation (SMA).
It should also be easier for 3rd party vendors to create new web based solutions for say an self-service portal or a Windows App for tracking an OS or application deployment on a mobile device or phone.
Personally I would really like any easier way to interact with ConfigMgr. when running in Windows PE (OS Deployment) or a web portal for non-admins to provision new or existing machine for OS deployment.

147 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rico Rosenlund shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rico Rosenheim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on when this feature will enter production version..?
        Or do you have some cool new "Graph" capabilities stacked up for SCCM..

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty much all of these ideas could be done with SCORCH, but I agree a web API directly into SCCM would be better. In fact it would make SCORCH even more powerful since we wouldn't have to write a bunch of powershell to drive SCCM from SCORCH.

If a full blown web API isn't in the cards, then a better integration pack for SCCM<->SCORCH could bridge the gap. I've been working on building an IP but the scope is so broad that it's very slow progress. Typically I end up getting the function I need working and move on.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! More information on what we'd love to see below:

Would like to see a webservice to call (ideally REST) to interact with SCCM in a consistent, easily automated fashion to perform actions congruent with methods to interact with applications in our CI/CD pipeline. Being able to access SCCM in that manner will greatly improve its integration into DevOps and Agile methodologies. Specific abilities requested: 1. Application\package deployment (Create the application with dependencies and requirements, create query based collection, create deployment) 2. Add/remove resource to/from collection 3. Query database to gather information (e.g. resource health information, deployment status information)

Feedback and Knowledge Base