Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Mac

Provide Mac Provisioning with CM12.

Other vendors provide the ability to image and fully manage the Mac device, when will Configuration Manager provide this feature? Imaging Windows platforms is only part of a corporation desktop landscape, we also support Mac, having a single solution would make logical sense.

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded  · 

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brandon Penglase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, Macs can PXE boot, but it isn't completely mature at the moment, but I have net/pxe booted a Mac into SCCM's OSD.
        The biggest problem is that Microsoft's DHCP Server doesn't support forcing DHCP options down to a client, it only sends what is requested. The Macs don't request options 66/67, and the Netboot service just forces it down. If you add ISC-DHCP to the mix, to give out supplemental options, you can combine it with iPXE and actually have the Mac netboot into a PXE environment.
        I actually have feedback on the server forum to add the option to be able to send the unrequested options to the client, which would enable this.

• Justin King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Complication here is MACs don't support PXE ... they use that completely unique NetBoot. But I agree: it would be awesome to be able to support that.

Patching is the big one for me: because it's WSUS based the patching in OSX is terrible. Something should be done there.

• Steven John Cuthill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be cool is OSD supported OS X and other Linux distribution. But yeh much better configure on non windows side needs to be done,

Feedback and Knowledge Base