Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

OSD during WinPE and the need of disk for storage

Since bitlocker, UEFI with GPT and mSATA came in the picture to mention some disk-related stuff, I have struggle with OSD issues where the TS fails due to the lack of a non encrypted, partitioned regular disk to store content during the initial steps of a TS in WinPE
Here is an example, I get an OEM-installed laptop with SecureBoot and UEFI activated. To be able to install Windows 7 on this laptop I have to reconfigure the BIOS and disable SecureBoot and UEFI, fair enough. But to get the OSD TS to work I have to manually clean the local disk and create a partition, otherwise the TS will fail.
So make the OSD more independent from a physical disk to store its content during WinPE.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Daniel Persson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  ·  sangeev responded  · 

The Task Sequence can be set to use ‘Run from Net’ – OS Image, Client Package etc. have to be set to use Package Share – part of the properties, visible on the ‘Data Access’ tab. Would that option help?

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Jeroen Bakker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With new (larger) Windows PE versions I sometimes have an issue with the lack of unencrypted local storage. Specifically when I boot into WinPE (from network or media) and the TS I choose to deploy requires a switchover to another WinPE image (mainly X86 <-> X64) then local storage is required for download of the image. If there is no/ to little unencrypted space the download and the TS fail.
    In my environment only the BDE partition was available as unencrypted storage. I've had to enlarge this twice now, first for WINPE 8.1 and now for WinPE 10.
    When I run into this problem only option is to repartition manually, a repartition step in the TS doesn't save me becaiuse this runs after booting into WinPE (which can't be downloaded).

• PFurches commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a diskpart script to clean the OEM drives before the image is applied. Something like:
    select disk 0
    clean
    It evens removes those pesky factory restore partitions and diagnostic partitions we do not need.

Feedback and Knowledge Base