Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Have the ability to pre-deploy an available application on a user’s primary device.

Today in the application model you can only pre-deploy a required deployment of an application on the users’ primary device but this has 2 drawbacks:
• Required means that the user doesn’t have the means to uninstall the application and potentially repair the application (uninstall+install).
• Required means also that when the user logs on to another machine, maybe just to consult a web page, the required applications also get installed unless the global condition primary device equals true was set.
This is all about provisioning a new machine for a user. Of course there are always common applications, like Office for example, that all users need but there are also certain applications that only 5 users need and it would be nice if you could deliver a machine and assign a primary user and that the applications this user needs would be preinstalled automatically without the drawbacks I mentioned above. It’s a little bit like group policies versus group policy preferences. With group policies you enforce settings, whereas with preferences you configure default settings which a user can change afterwards. And this is exactly what we are looking for. Now people have to look at custom solutions or MDT to get machines provisioned in this manner. By adding this functionality, you’ll give admins more flexibility to deliver applications to users.

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kris Titeca shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brand Wylie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. We need the ability to use the strengths of pre-deploy when provisioning a new primary device to a user but not require those same deployments on non-primary devices. The short coming of putting a requirement on the deployment type for primary device would mean that even if the software was otherwise available to that user, it would never deploy unless made primary.

• Paul Zillman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been experimenting with UDA and pre-deploy and also have ran into these challenges. It would be nice to have options to require application pre-deploy during OSD, but during other scenarios you can set pre-deploy to available. Also it would be nice to be able to have a requirement for an deployment type to run only during OSD and/or task sequence. I have scenarios where I would like a certain deployment type to be chosen during OSD.

Feedback and Knowledge Base