Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

More Intelligent Client Cache

With SCCM 2012 we got the single instance store on the back end which reduces the need for storage significantly on the server side but on the client side there's no optimization whatsoever.
If you for example have 2 applications or deployment types which are using the same or almost the same content they are downloaded both separately. This has a negatively impact on the disk space you need to reserve for the client cache but also on the bandwidth used to download almost twice the same content. I believe this can be done better.
Many folks had to configure a client cache of 10GB or higher in SCCM 2012 which might not be a big deal on a desktop with a traditional hard disk but it comes a big deal when you think about devices like laptops having a smaller SSD, or tablets with only 32 or 64GB of storage and it also affect windows to go users and VDI machines.

92 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kris Titeca shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I frequently create multiple Deployment Types with the same exact content. Only the command line changes such as calling a different transform. Spent a couple of days trying to figure out why there were 5 or 6 identical copies of the same source in my clients cache! Just give us the option to choose "common source" for the content. Actually SCCM should easily be able to tell this as the Content Locations are all identical. Thanks MS!

Completely agree with this, we deploy large CAD software where the install files may be 10GB+ but adjust the features installed by a small configuration file, if we want to make a change it needs to download the whole thing again. Please allow for some sort of deduplication of data in the SCCM client cache or allow for applications to be linked to the same content.

Yes, when you have a 5 GB Package with 5000 files and you update 1 file that is 1MB, the client has to download the entire 5GB again which is costly in time, bandwidth, and disk space

• Cathelyns Frederic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree with this and I have something to add : In the same spirit, when you update the package content even for the smallest bit, it will re-download the whole content on the target computer. I think 4Gb for 2kb is not worth it.
    Thank you for your care.

Feedback and Knowledge Base