Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

OSD - Deploy TS to User groups

Would be nice to be able to advertise Task Sequences to specific users or groups. We have some operating system deployments that we would like only certain users to run, support staff for instance.

256 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin Schumaker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded  · 

bobmn for sangeev/OSD

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt Webster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be superb for managing in place upgrades as part of Windows as a service. The device affinity isn't reliable enough. Amazed this isn't already a feature. Upvoted!

• Joe Novo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For myself it would be better if we could show/hide the Operating Systems tab in Software Center for specific users groups (just as we can for computer group). And then it would be nice if we could advertise Application TS to Users (not OSD TS), and be able to include a filter.

• Thomas Osborne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be huge for us. I have a scenario where we deploy techs to reimage systems. They are very low level (contract) and we don't want them in the console. It would be so much easier to create a user collection with them in it and deploy our refresh OSD task to the Software Center.

• Aaron Flaugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if we could be able to target users/ user collections and computers for Task Sequences.

For Example: We want to deploy an OSD or Application to say our Finance department.

Or another scenario, would be in small shops we might know a persons name before we would know their computer name.

Give us the option to deploy to just their primary computer.

• Gibson99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really useful in my environment because not all TSes are for OSD. For example, one of my TS is for updating the BIOS, but I only want our techs to be able to run it, not regular users. Right now I have a somewhat hokey password prompt in place to keep regular users out, but I have other TS that I'd like to restrict just to certain users/groups.

• Laura Melton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow Task Sequences to be deployed to a user collection.

Current Reason: To allow upgrade TS to only been seen within Software Center by "authorized" people.

• Kale Duden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this? It would be great to do application groupings to specific user teams. We're already provisioning app access using groups, would love to leverage it for app installs as well.

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would also make it easier for us to deploy our Windows 10 upgrade TS to specific users in a collection, techs, for example. They can then perform the in-place upgrade, on any device that they log into.

• Jim Calvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since TS is the only place to run a command as a specific user, it will allow access to network resources that either Desktop support or normal users shouldn't have access to.

• Anthony Fontanez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We utilize TS's for USMT. It would be great if we could advertise them to our techs so they can run captures and restores easily.

• Jack Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since we first started using OSD Task Sequences in 2007, we have been asking for this very feature. We only want our support staff to be able to reimage computers. When we had the Task Sequences advertised "unhidden" we had random users try the Task Sequence and then complain when their computer was unavailable for several hours and....
        With very rare exceptions, software deployments install to the computer not the user, even when they are advertised to just the user. How exactly is a Task Sequence different?

• Chris Cools commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Task Sequences for most of our software deployments because we often need many dependencies to be installed aside the main application and this in a specific order. Unfortunately, you can't deploy them to user collections, only to device collections. It would be great if a TS could be targeted to users in stead of devices only. Now we have a workaround in place that in essence deploys the TS as an App and can be targeted to user collections. The app contains a PS script to start the device-targeted TS and can be triggered from App Catalog. It would be much easier if we could directly target the TS to the users.

Feedback and Knowledge Base