Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Preferred Software Update Points

Now that we have the option to define both Distribution Points and Management Points as preferred, it'd be terrific if we could have the same option for Software Update Points. It would make a strong case when designing a flat hierarchy.

570 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nickolaj AndersenNickolaj Andersen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fabio FerraroFabio Ferraro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have problem (and SR open) regarding SUP selection and SUP switch in different domais. If I will be able to set SUP by Boundaries Gruup could be great!

• Arthur Benedetti WhiteArthur Benedetti White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we need this also we keep getting systems pointing to a SUP in another domain so if the SUP could be enforced by boundary group that would really help.

• Alex H.Alex H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A major component of WAN traffic in our global enterprise is WSUS catalog downloads. Being able to restrict clients a a foreign site to use the SUP local to them would be a huge win for us. We had to hack the CM database to create this functionality in the current version, which is never a good option.

• mike dmike d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the option force the client to (randomly?) select a new software update point still has some unexpected results in 1606.

• Nathan NitzelNathan Nitzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge problem for enterprise environments with high levels of security/firewall that divide their segregated forests even though they have trust. RNGing your SUPs when you can define boundaries to your DPs and MPs is just crazy talk at this point. Can't wait for this to be added!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would make more sense if we could specify the SUP. Switching to a different random Sup isn't very useful. A better idea would be the ability to specify MP and SUP as part of the client policy or as a collection variable or boundary even.

It would also be nice if we could specify MP's and DP's separately in boundaries.

• Thomas Forsmark SoerensenThomas Forsmark Soerensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a scenario where I have one primary ConfigMgr server and two servers with MP, DP and SUP placed in two untrusted AD forests.
        The clients should really be able to select SUP based on its boundary address or else it might select a SUP in another forest that is no accessible for by client.

• bryanbryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our PCI environment cannot talk to servers that are internet connected. There is no official supported way that I'm aware of to guarantee that the SUP a sever connects to is not the active SUP downloading from MS. If we could tie collection/devices to specific SUPs this problem could be solved. As it is, we have to set up a separate and standalone WSUS environment for this.

VERY needed for multiple SUPS in a site that spans multiple domains. Applying the SUP via GPO is unnecessary overhead.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add SUP to function like Management Point!! This is very needed!!

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed. Also the ability to Control witch clients can go to Microsoft to download the updates is needed.

• Michael SchultzMichael Schultz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently going through an issue with our SUPs and machines failing during deployment scans with error 0x80072ee2 which is one error that doesn't cause clients to try a different SUP. We have also found that the vast majority of our clients are connecting to on SUP which exceeds the client limit of WSUS. Being able to divide up clients to use specific SUPs like with preferred MPs would be great.

• Fintan SoFintan So commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding preferred SUP as a boundary group capability would be very useful since current SCCM 2012 clients do not seem to obey by the boundary groups to look up and communicate with local SUP to get software update policies.

Please! This would be super useful in situations where there are isolated enclaves that have a large amount of servers. (DMZ's, hot sites, etc).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base