Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

A Customizable Reboot/Postpone Prompt for Application and Software Updates Deployments

Basically would like something similar to the Windows Updates Reboot/Postpone nag prompt except with the ability to customize the notification text as applicable to the deployment.

For example:, as a sub-setting of the deployment type for the application you have the option to enable the reboot/postpone prompt and customize the notification text of the dialog box.

If the user that receives the prompt, postpones they will be re-prompted at the end of the postponement period until they either reboot or shutdown the system. (basically exactly the same behavior as the Windows Updates reboot/postpone prompt).

543 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    William France shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another thing: customize how often the prompt appears. My org ended up having to create a custom prompt utility because the balloon popups weren't being noticed.

• Ondrej Seda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, i think part of this request should be also: When user do the reboot by himself (click start - reboot), SCCM will accept it and will not require reboot after real reboot again

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a snooze button for required restarts that are still several hours away (we set 10 hour restart countdowns) would be a great addition.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this resulted in the ability to force win10 feature updates ASAP and avoid the length of the condition where bitlocker has been suspended until a reboot occurs, Id be all in favor of this.

• Dimitar Nedelchev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more with the rest of the comments! My team is dealing with questions about options for reboot almost on a weekly basis.

Providing more flexibility with reboot notifications (number of prompts and intervals, message text, etc. - as suggested by the rest of the guys here) will save a great deal of trouble for SCCM administrators, currently dealing with custom HTA messages and answering the same questions again and again.

This really should be a standard feature for every software distribution product.

• Richard Lefaive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can't support this idea enough. A LOT of the higher upvoted items on the overall list are "propeller head" improvements that are NOT as important as this one.

If admins had more control and options over the reboot notification text, final reminders, and experience ... the issues with business hours for corporate clients ( whereby optional period notices \ nags are not delivered \ seen ) that make it a complete abortion would be irrelevant and disappear ( admins could notify users just prior to actual interruption via reboot dialoguing and options ).

• Prem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have reboot option which would allow end users to snooze the reboot for a few times until final count down.

• Kurt M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be huge for our company. We just started using SCCM for patch management and everyone is complaining about how they have a forced reboot on their system. Users for one do not notice the notification bubble from the system tray. As such we have the countdown timer set to 90 minutes, but having the ability for people to be able to postpone a couple times would be great. I wish I could give this more than 3 votes.

• Kriss Milne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature, a number of applications will fail to install if a reboot is pending.

This would be useful in a task sequence also, as pending reboots can cause application install failures which can result in task sequence failures.

• Scott Breen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a) allow a setting that will reboot if a pending reboot is detected prior to installing an application
        b) detect pending reboots and allow handling with notifications via client settings
        c) surface pending reboot status in console

• Matt Edminster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thing here:

Problem:
        Today when users receive patches they are expecting to be down for 10-15 minutes. With the new Windows servicing model we are expecting major updates to take 45-60 minutes.

Our users typically bring their devices home and may not boot them up on the evening. So most updates take place during the business day. (At least the laptop devices)

I fear when one of these major updates is released the users will click “install now” expecting to be down for the typical 10-15 when in reality they will be down for 45-60 minutes. They may miss meetings or other important work because of this unexpected downtime.

I would like to see MS introduce the ability for us to inform the user of how long an upgrade may take so they can plan for the downtime.

• Zeb Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please.

I can't enforce strict reboots for non-technical reasons, but I can certainly pop up nag windows. Something that would allow the user to postpone reboots after updates for a decreasing amount of time each loop would be fantastic.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base