Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

add possibility to logoff user for Software Installation and prevent login during installation.

It would be great to have a possibility to create a deployment where the User would be logged off during the installation of Software. Useful for Software like Java Runtime or Adobe Pro where a running application can prevent the installation.
The User should be informed that an installation will be started and he will be logged off. The User should be not able to login during the installation.

150 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More and more applications would greatly benefit from this. Last year I packaged Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and had to set it to run when no user is logged in because it simply killed explorer.exe. It would be nice if I could prevent the user from simply logging back in before the installation completes.

• ufich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to stress having a dialog when logged out. Applications that can't install when a user is logged in leaves customers staring at a login screen, hoping it's installing, with no progress or indication. Windows Updates have an excellent dialog. Applications should be able to borrow that.

• Richard Spaven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The scenario this will assist with is a Citrix Client Upgrade on a thin client. Citrix themselves recommend - remove old installation - reboot - install new software. On a thin client - you want all the software in place prior to initial login so that SSO access to LOB apps is available ASAP. There are other scenarios where the software must be installed at login, and the obvious one - minimise calls. Install at Shutdown is good for quick installations that do not require a chain with a reboot in the middle. The functionality is present in OSD, a more user friendly version is required for BAU - ie - does not display "preparing your PC for first use". The other fun part of Citrix Client Upgrades is you may have to put a Flash upgrade in at the same time to maintain HDX Support.

• Wito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many software installation scenarios failing again and again while a user is logged on and some components are still in use/are loaded. Even if we do almost anything using Task Sequences and even providing special customized scripts it happens in our enviroment and there ist no possibility to reach a reliability over 90% with some (dirty) software products, SW distribution fails and causes service costs for repairing and support. I can remenber in the past the installation method via group policies was the best way to deploy Software in a reliable way. The only problem/disadvantage was the wait-time before a user coul log on the first time. But for some software products in some cases I would still prefer it instead of any available SMS methods. It would be a great feature/win if we were able to handle installation processes of risky software products in this way (preventing user sessions from affecting our software distribution) simply by using a SCCM option to do it outside a user session in exclusive/secure mode or something like that.

• Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our previous deployment solution, CA ITCM, had this feature. It was called logon shield. It was clunky, to say the least. If anything went wonky during an application install nobody could log back on to the PC indefinitely. Someone would have to be physically present to power cycle the machine.
        As much as I'd love to see this feature integrated into Configmgr, it has to be very well though-out. Have it time out when the deployment times out.

• Jonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could be accomplished by "Install at shutdown". Like when Software upodates got installed via WSUS.

Feedback and Knowledge Base