Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Combine Software Center and Application Catalog into a Single application

We would like to see a single web portal, preferably HTML-based, to marry the Software Center and Application Catalog. We deploy both types of offerings, and a single place for users to get new software would be great.

416 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jacob shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James Gotner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a major hurdle in just learning the product and teaching other support staff. Glad to hear that it's now planned to combine them.

On a related note, I must have run across a bug. Once we upgraded to 2012 R2 from 2012 SP1, any application that was created from that point on and deployed to a user collection would show up in Software Center for applicable users (in addition to the App Cat). I figured Microsoft was already starting to go with the one-stop solution...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Yes, please just put both user and device targeted applications in one place, preferably the Software Center."

+1 for this. I prefer Software Center because it spreads the load and you don't run into a user hitting the web portal without the client installed. It would be nice if we had more options to skin / brand it though. It would also be nice if everything available to the user (and computer) showed on the "Available Software" tab (regardless of if it were already installed or not).

I also echo the "ditch Silverlight" comments.

• Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't speak for the original requester but a web-based approach would be preferred because of the potential for customization. Right now we can't even change the colors of the software center. If it was all bundled into a web application, admins could tweak a lot more of the UI.

• cgsilver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMHO it doesn't really matter which platform you use, some prefer that and some prefer other. But in General for end users it is just confusing to use 2 Portals.
    One Portal, with separate tab for Software Updates to be displayed!
    I think to Show add/remove programs in the same Portal would be great.
    If it going to be a WebPortal, don't Forget to throw warning when user logs in to the WebPortal from a machine which does not have SCCM Client installed (it's pretty annoying that you can read AppCatalog Content and try to install even if SCCM Client is not installed!!!!!)

• Robby Moeyaert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Application based would be better for unified (but not Silverlight based....). That way you push more load for rendering and displaying to the client and can have a much tigher integration with the endpoint (webbased is often sandboxed).

Also, pushing more to web based can lead to a slow and overcrowded webserver, which torpedos user experience.

• Rob Ostry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a merged view in Software Center would be even better than HTML version. It would look more native like an App Store for the operating system.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Web-based app catalog seems like the best way to go. Take a step further by making it extensible and customize-able. For example, re-skinning it for an organization or add or remove metadata to be displayed with the apps in the portal. Maybe have a different view in the portal to distinguish between app (Applications,Packages,Non-OSD TS) deployments, software updates, and OSD TS.

The only downside I see is the risk of the app catalog not being available.

• Mieszko Ślusarczyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would probably be fine to have everything inside of Software Center,but create a url scheme to enable creating a direct ling to a specific app/package installation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree a single place for both would be good but I would like to see it being web based or at least allow you to provide direct links to applications (if in the software center) in emails so when you need users to install an app they can find it using one click.

• Thomas Forsmark Soerensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the main problem is that there are different places that the applications are presented, There should only be one place the users have to go and look for their applications not knowing if they were deployed to computer or user. Today we have the Software Center for computer applications, the Application catalog for user applications and a store. Please merge it so there could be a one stop application shopping :-D

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You bet. I only pushed for web based portal because many things are going that direction. I would be just as pleased with a standalone application, like the Software Center is today.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base