Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Email Application approval requests

Would be nice if the application approval request feature had built-in support for emailing.

320 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bryan Peek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want an email to the Service Desk so they get notified there is a Request waiting for them. Once they resolve or deny the request, a notification goes to the customer.

• T B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be as simple as whenever creating a catalog deployment that gets the "requires approval" checkbox selected, the forms similar to reporting subscriptions activate, allowing mailto destinations/info.

• russ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many votes do you need before you develop a proper approval process?

• Scott Metzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should be expanded to approval/denial of scripts, too, since the functions are very similar. Receiving an email of any approval/denial of any object type would actually be great - to talk about it in more abstract terms.

• Levi Stevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should also give the ability to configure an approval chain for an application (approval goes to manager, or to a specific group of user, and if a group of users do all need to approve or just one in the list). The email should include a Approve / Reject link on the Application Catalog portal. It should require a note for a reject, which is emailed to the requester. Users should be able to see all submitted requests (approved or otherwise) in a history tab on the application catalog. There should also be a "timeout" period that can be configured by the admin. So approvals automatically expire and send failure note. Basically, no approver should ever have to open an admin console.

• Travis Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this could be a powerful feature. A simple email notification to a team is one thing. An expansion of that for us would be taking that email with the approval request and feeding it into our in house ticketing system to generate a ticket for the Help Desk to approve it and track a license, etc... Our Help Desk is very busy and with no notifications of pending approval requests this will easily get missed. Notifications would help with visibility.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. When you reply to the requested app and you approved or not the user would get an email stating this including a link that takes them to the app on the software center. Most users have NO clue click back on the "Applications" then click the requested app again to see the reply.

• Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

customer should be capable of having the user be notified via email, sms message or skype for business when the administrator approves the request. This should be automatic and easy to configure.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

During user requesting for an application approval, once the requester has sent through there request there should be an email configuration setup to receive an email advising them of the user requesting an application, this way it would speed up the process rather then wait for the technician to check this on a regular basis.

• Greg Isett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd definitely like to see this feature. Also I'd like some (easy to setup, and manager) workflow around the approval process, either via Configmgr or another product.

• Aranud Balat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if the approval of a software could be done by the manager of the user !

One the user request the application an email is sent to his manager who can directly approve or deny the request.

Each user has a manager specified in the active directory so it's easy to retrieve i think :)

• Ryan Ephgrave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why there aren't status messages for the application approval workflow. ConfigMgr already has a built in automation system with status messages, just add a status message to application approvals and be done with it. If that's done, integrating the approval process with 3rd party ITIL applications and Azure Automation is trivial.

If not, we have to set up a job to query every 5 minutes to see if there is a new request, which costs money on Azure Automation. It's much better to trigger the workflow from SCCM rather than having it check every 5 minutes through something that's pay per use.

• Greg Isett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would REALLY like to see a good integrated, supported WORKFLOW tool/process included in SCCM perhaps integrated with other System Center products.

Features would include email to/from the system and end users and approves. Automatic scheduling of SCCM installation jobs. Email notification with SCCM job completes.

• Andrew Malcolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute unbearable pain-point for me currently. I do other things besides look at Config Mgr console all day, so sometimes I miss Application Requests and don't get to them in a timely manner. This seems like a simple, common-sense feature that is missing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone's usage could be different so maybe a rule based notification similar to how you manage mail rules.

I would see a requirement to email a service desk so it can be tracked for licensing and manager approval. Another one the asset manager might wish to know about requests for selective applications due to licensing.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base