Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Include the Right Click tools kit as part of the Console, not as a seperate download addon

Include the Right Click tools adon as part of the Console install, not as a seperate download addon

671 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JamesJames shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John GrotzJohn Grotz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ryan's Right Click Tools are very useful in managing a collection of computers and individual systems. It would be nice to have more frequently used right click options available without needing to run another installer. It is a pain when the console has an update and once that is applied, the Right Click Tools addon need to be re-installed.

• Qasim MashwaniQasim Mashwani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integration of the Right Click Tools should be an optional feature in the Admin Console and preferably restricted by policy even if feature is selected as the potential for mass havoc caused by one errant click on certain tools is quite significant.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update to Phase 2? I am dying to be able to restart on the fly or schedule restarts on collections.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like 'right click tools' should have been a part of SCCM years ago. Microsoft is asleep at the wheel. I'd also like to see a separate tool like "SCCM Client Center" so you don't have to wait until you track down the device inside SCCM console till you're able troubleshoot it.

• Garrett MarshGarrett Marsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Client Actions:
        • Branch Distribution Point Maintenance Task
        • Discovery Data Collection Cycle
        • Hardware Inventory Cycle
        • Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle
        • Software Inventory Cycle
        • Software Metering Usage Report Cycle
        • Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle
        • Software Updates Scan Cycle
        • Windows Installer Source List Update Cycle

Client Tools:
        • Restart SMS Agent Host Service
        • Generate new SCCM GUID
        • Rerun Advertisement
        • Open Client Log File Folder
        • Open Client Installation Log File Folder
        • Assign Client to Another Site
        • Change Cache Size
        • Uninstall SCCM Client

Console Tools:
        • Manage Computer
        • Ping System
        • Wake On LAN
        • RDP to Console
        • System Info
        • Show Collections
        • Running Processes
        • Computer Management
        • Connect to C$
        • Interactive Command Prompt
        • Reboot System
        • Schedule Reboot
        • AD Groups PC is a member of
        • Interactive PowerShell
        • Group Policy Update
        • Open Regedit

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/05/07/config-manager-2012-right-click-tools/

• Ryan EphgraveRyan Ephgrave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some additional ideas for incorporating common console extensions into the console. All the things I'm suggesting are in multiple tool sets so they are very popular:

Client:
        1) Cache tools: The cache is very hard to manage on a case by case basis. Adding the ability to change the cache size, clear the cache, change cache location, and see individual information on everything in the cache (the info stored in CacheInfoEx in root\ccm\SoftMgmtAgent)
        2) Client control panel information: It would be amazing to make the client control panel tool (what lets you view client information, components, run configurations, etc) available through the console.
        3) Show what boundaries a SCCM client happens to fall in to be able to troubleshoot overlapping boundaries.
        4) What's been run on the device? Finding out historical information about what has been run on the device should be much easier than going to the registry for execution history and the logs for application information.
        5) Install or uninstall applications and other things that show up in Software Center
        6) We should be able to see all Collection Variables, Maintenance Windows, and Power Plans that are deployed to a specific device. Also, some information on what the next maintenance window will be would be amazing.

Device:
        1) Show who is currently logged onto a computer. When people are troubleshooting application install problems, they usually want to find a computer that has the problem and has no one logged into it.
        2) Mark if a device has a pending reboot or not
        3) Wake On Lan on demand! Send a WOL packet through the SCCM server to the device!
        4) Manage running processes
        5) Manage services
        6) Restart computer

There's a ton of other tools out there, but these are probably the most useful and most popular.

• Richard ArcherRichard Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding the talk of using PS remoting, I think I'd rather see this kind of functionality, if built into the console, use the existing communication channels (Fast Channel notification and standard policy items). I do see the value of PowerShell based commands (we use Ryan's tools), but it introduces yet another dependency. If you've got working communication between client and server, that should be enough.

It's actually a feature I really miss from LANDesk. There could be a firewall blocking all communication between server and client except the LANDesk channel, and even if I had no administrative rights on the client, I could still kick off a hardware inventory or a variety of other commands, and get real-time feedback on the results.

• Andrew MalcolmAndrew Malcolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...or just roll the same functionality with Powershell and put that into the console. Either way this addon provides a TON of useful features I routinely make use of.

• Nathan McNultyNathan McNulty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Ryan that some of them do make sense while some don't. Additionally, I would love to see most of these done through PowerShell Remoting (maybe by invoking commands from the ConfigMgr cmdlet library). This would provide the output of the PowerShell commands being used so they can be copied and re-used in scripts.

I understand that many organizations may disable PS Remoting for security reasons, so maybe adding a way to use PS Remoting by default and then a fall back method for those who can't would be a good option.

• Neil WilliamsNeil Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about Show Collections!

Ryan: Thanks for creating the Right Click Tools in the first place ;-)

• Ryan EphgraveRyan Ephgrave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm the author of the right click tools and I can say some of them make sense to put in the console and some don't.

The ones that I think make the most sense are:

Client Actions (At least make all actions in the control panel on the client available to trigger from the console, but some others are useful, like send unsent state messages)
        New Site Code - For some reason a lot of people requested this even after you allowed switching between sites in the console. They like to manually put in the 3 character code.
        Add a list of computers to a collection. Either import through CSV or just copy and paste the list in
        Clear cache - Like the option on the client
        Run client check - Just execute the client check exe to run a new one on demand and send it to the server
        Uninstall client - I know you can reinstall, but sometimes the client gets on a computer or group of computers that shouldn't have it.

There are a lot of others that simply deal with troubleshooting computers outside of problems in Configuration Manager (user profile, installs, stuff like that) so I don't think it makes sense to put those in.

• Oliver KieselbachOliver Kieselbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes it's necessary to re-run a deployment regardless if previous deployment was successful or failed. This is especially the case during testing. The right click Tools provide such functionality. Please provide the same with SCCM native.

Feedback and Knowledge Base