Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Show Powershell equivalent command(s) at any wizard completion

At wizard completion for anything, show the Powershell cmdlet equivalent like in other System Center products.

706 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James GotnerJames Gotner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christian SedlmairChristian Sedlmair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would love to have the complete history of equivalent PowerShell commands. Exporting results from the console is not as satisfying as having pure text in objects that can be sorted, filtered and the properties needed could be selected. As well as working around errors I encounter when using the WMI PowerShell cmdlets but is successfully handled by the console. This is especially valuable as the documentation of all WMI classes seems never to be up-to-date or at least I do not find it. Additionally I find the performance of the console could be better some times. So having the PowerShell commands that retrieve only what is needed at the moment speeds up the work with SCCM tremendously

• Roth, ChaseRoth, Chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been almost 2 years since this was "NOTED". Lets make this happen guys and gals! This would definitely be helpful. I learned so much with the Exchange console, ADAC, MDT, etc. when they do that. Anything to help automate more processes!

• MarcoMarco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great. I thought a few years ago all the 'back office' products were going to do this. For those things I find myself doing more often I could just copy the script, customize it a little and have a new tool.

• Richard ArcherRichard Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed this would be a brilliant feature, but I'm assuming it's a little harder to implement in SCCM as unlike, for example, the Exchange Management Console, the ConfigMgr Console is not actually using PowerShell and WinRM in the background - it still relies on WMI to the SMS Provider.

• CaseyCasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really helpful if the admin console could display the Powershell equivalent of actions executed in the console similar to the way Exchange does. Example: Lets say you created a new device collection using the wizard and instead of just showing a success or failure message on the completion tab, the Powershell command to create the same collection is also shown (New-CMDeviceCollection....). Implementing this would reach every console user and they could see a direct correlation between their actions and Powershell. It would be an easy way for admins who are not Powershell experts to start learning and using it.

• Roth, ChaseRoth, Chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely would be a welcome addition. Loved old Exchange Management Console for that as well as MDT. Additionally, if there could just be a history like in ADAC, that would also be helpful to see none wizard driven commands. Please do this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base