Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Automatically add products to WSUS syncs based on SCCM inventory

Currently, you need to 'know what you have' to enable update syncs for products in WSUS/SCCM. That means that components could be present and not updated, but systems appear to be '100% up-to-date'. It would be nice to have an option to allow SCCM to add software categories to look for based on inventory results (e.g. 'someone installed SQL Server 2014, so WSUS should now look for updates for it').

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marc Doughty shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea...just with an approval process. The last thing we need is Sharepoint or SQL being updated automatically without us approving the addition.

• Rick Bywalski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this and agree there needs to be some kind of control. Maybe we could have something like the MP recommender that was added to SCOM 1801 that could show what you have out there and if it is enabled or not.

• Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Steve. There HAS to be some kind of administrative oversight before automatically adding products to your Software Updates. Unless your environment is extremely sanitary and locked down, you'll end up with dozens of products that you don't want/need to be updating via ConfigMgr. I do like the spirit of the idea and the added flexibility it would give to newcomers just getting started with Software Updates and WSUS functionality.

• Steve Whitcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this, although I would suggest some kind of prompt first, listing what products SCCM thinks should be added to the update sync list, with a checkbox next to each in order to accept or decline.

Feedback and Knowledge Base