Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Force Reinstall of Application

Many customers want to be able to force a reinstallation of an application. this deployment should ignore all detection rules and just install the application again.
At the moment this is not possible.

549 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dominik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a very great feature for user self service. Many problems get just fixed by a clean uninstall and reinstall.

• muecom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The object model of deployment types already have
        - RepairCommandLine
        - RepairFolder
        But this are not exposed to admin UI and I have not tested if the Client recognize these

• C. Lessard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, end-users can only install or uninstall applications from the Software Center. It's missing either a "repair", "reinstall" or "verify" option. For me this would be a good addition as most of the time you do not need to uninstall and reinstall the application but simply run a MSI repair (or other relevant actions).

Being new to SCCM, the reason I propose this is I've been using Zenworks Configuration Management for the last 10 years and we've always had the "verify" option available. Also the nice thing about this is that you can either re-run the same install sequence, or specify a different one that is used only if the products is already installed so you can really customize what happens.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making this an available option either on the Application or Deployment setup would be great, especially for Required Applications. Right now end users having an issue have to contact the helpdesk to remove the application, check the machine back in, and let it reinstall. Just make it an optional check box that is not checked by default.

Agree. Having options to repair or modify an existing installed application would be very useful.

This would be best implemented as a tick box option in the required deployment. That way if the reinstall isn't useful for a particular application or a particular company it doesn't need to be used. The behavior should be to perform an uninstall if one is defined and then re-install. If no uninstall is defined then simply run the install again.

This would be a nice feature but would really depend on the internal companies packaging standards as to whether a feature like this was a benefit. In some instances it may cause more harm than good.

Nice Idea though!

• Marco Cibis (MS) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A functionality for repair of an application (uninstall followed by an install) of a required application out of the software center would be highly appreciated and would take of load from the helpdesk.

Honestly having "repair" or "reinstall" options probably would be a better more useful option. Apps behave differently with just a re-run of the installation. Having something a bit more customizable (cmd like install/uninstall) could be used by anything. Heck fi you wanted you can even have a "reinstall" check box in the dependency area.

One improvement to the application model would be to use the TS methodology but for Application objects!

You could have multiple... install, repair, and uninstall sequences with as many steps as you wish in the order that you wish.

I currently find the Deployment Type +requirements + priority to be limiting and not nearly as straight forward as it could be.

• Jeremy Herbison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now if there is a mandatory deployment, the uninstall button in Software Center is disabled. How about instead changing it to "Reinstall", which simply uninstalls and then reinstalls it?

Reinstalling apps is a very common early troubleshooting step, so it would be great if unprivileged users could do it without going into Programs and Features as a local admin.

Feedback and Knowledge Base