Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

automatically search all sub-nodes

Currently, when changing nodes from Application, to Packages to Collection, every time you begin a search, you must re-check the box to 'Search all Sub-nodes'. As the average SCCM admin might make dozens of searches a day to find content, computers, collections, this is really irritating. It would be a better behavior to automatically search all sub-nodes.

352 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen OwenStephen Owen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marcus WMarcus W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David. It does not apply to selection of collections and similar dialogs.

We suggested that feature when we had a chance to give feedback to the ConfigMgr team about 1702.

• David GuirlDavid Guirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this new feature also apply to the "Select Collections" dialog box when editing the membership of a collection or deploying an application?

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This has always been a frustration and it seems like such an easy thing to implement.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When searching for an item in the Admin console it would be extremely helpful if it showed the items location in order to know what subfolder it's in. As it is, you have to search every time you want to find the same item, since there is no easy way to discover what subfolder it's in. You also may be looking for a group of items in the same subfolder, but with the current search method you have to search for each one individually since you can't discover where they are and browse to them to see them all at once. This is a very annoying behavior.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this function be expanded to other areas like Drivers, Driver packages, ect???????

• Neil WestgateNeil Westgate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In an environment with multiple sub folders it can be difficult to track down the location of an object that you've found via the search function. If there was a column in the console similar to the "published at" column from AD Users and Computers this would make finding objects a lot easier and faster.

• DrewDrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you search all subfolders for an application or package it would be nice to be see what subfolders the results are in.

• Tamir LevyTamir Levy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be much more intuitive for admin console managers.
        the same logic works when we search something in Outlook under inbox and it searched by default in all mailbox, which is great!
        on the same subject - improve the timing of the Search tab on the ribbon.
        as of today, we need to wait a few seconds before clicking the search bar in order for the search tab to appear.

• HariHari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enhance search option in the console. When we search for application, packages or collections every time we have to select All Subfolders option. It would be great if that option can be incorporated as a single search.

This should be a simple and very obvious feature. Having to search every single time for the same thing or spend a lot of time combing through the folders is a huge waste of time and a pain.

• Patrik HolmqvistPatrik Holmqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! And even better if there could be a "go to" link also so you could go to the location with a single click!

• Jitesh PatelJitesh Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a fantastic addition, it's always a nightmare searching for something to find out it exists and then having to manually trawl through everything to find it!

• Nash Pherson (MVP)Nash Pherson (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a quick workaround, could you at least make is so that when you do click on the "All Subnodes" button, it doesn't wipe out what you've already typed! That is what drives up my blood pressure most about it. Most of the time I don't need to search the subnodes, but when I do, I've already typed what I'm searching for BEFORE hitting the button, and then POOF! It's gone.

• Stuart WatretStuart Watret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is without a doubt the most annoying feature. On 2007 we once paid for MS to finish a script we used via right click to search. It came back with the results and the PATH to find them - what a novel idea! Don't give us the ability to organise things in folders then make it impossible to find things without reference to their actual location !!

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When searching "All Objects" it would be helpful for the search results to tell me where I can find an object. Example: I have 1,000 collections and dozens of folders. When I search for "Chrome" it finds the collection but does not tell me where it is. It would be nice if it showed me: Device Collections > Folder Name > Folder Name > Folder Name or had an option to "Take me to" the selected result. Would be helpful with packages and applications too.

Maybe also fixing the bug if one has a deep nested structure of sub-folders containing collections? Searching in the root node with all sub-nodes option does not find nearly all the sub-nodes, just a random subset of them.

• John MarcumJohn Marcum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good one considering the UI totally sucks in the search node! Click.....wait 15 seconds...click....wait....you are incredibly lucky the all folders option lights up but more often than not it doesn't.

• Marcus WMarcus W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I also agree to James B to have the folder/location of the found objects in the search result. For me it's strange that this isn't already there.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base