Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

automatically search all sub-nodes

Currently, when changing nodes from Application, to Packages to Collection, every time you begin a search, you must re-check the box to 'Search all Sub-nodes'. As the average SCCM admin might make dozens of searches a day to find content, computers, collections, this is really irritating. It would be a better behavior to automatically search all sub-nodes.

377 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen Owen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • L U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or did you mean searching in the folder names themselves - I don't think you can do that at the moment. Maybe that's what you meant?

• L U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this what you are looking for?
        - Software Library > Overview > Application Management > Applications
        - Search Tab > All Subfolders
        - Click in Search field, enter search text eg flash
        - Click button Search
        - In the results, columns, turn on Object Path column to find where the object is located in the folder structure.

It's not the default, but it's there. Maybe you want to make it more accessible or operate recursively by default?

You can search across the whole domain for different object types by using All Objects to search.

The Object Path column is fairly new - really appreciated.

• Roth, Chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. Click in search box and wait for spinning to stop. Top tab "Search" there is option for "All Subfolders". To find their location you need to add "Object Path" to your display by right clicking the title bar with column names just below search box criteria. That should do it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just upgraded to 1706 and if I go to Packages in the admin console and do a search, it still does not automatically search in all subfolders and I still don't see any way to discover the path of an object in the console after I found it by searching. Am I missing something?

• Kaleb Wohlgemuth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd further this to not just Application management, but all nodes, Task Sequences, User and Device collections, Packages, ect
        To only search the current node of the selection is counter-intuitive to every search, ever.

If I'm in C:\ and I search for a file, I get a recursive search in C:\ and the whole sub-tree.
        If Windows search functioned the same, I'd only get search results in the immediate folder.

• Marcus W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David. It does not apply to selection of collections and similar dialogs.

We suggested that feature when we had a chance to give feedback to the ConfigMgr team about 1702.

• David Guirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this new feature also apply to the "Select Collections" dialog box when editing the membership of a collection or deploying an application?

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This has always been a frustration and it seems like such an easy thing to implement.

When searching for an item in the Admin console it would be extremely helpful if it showed the items location in order to know what subfolder it's in. As it is, you have to search every time you want to find the same item, since there is no easy way to discover what subfolder it's in. You also may be looking for a group of items in the same subfolder, but with the current search method you have to search for each one individually since you can't discover where they are and browse to them to see them all at once. This is a very annoying behavior.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this function be expanded to other areas like Drivers, Driver packages, ect???????

• Neil Westgate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In an environment with multiple sub folders it can be difficult to track down the location of an object that you've found via the search function. If there was a column in the console similar to the "published at" column from AD Users and Computers this would make finding objects a lot easier and faster.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you search all subfolders for an application or package it would be nice to be see what subfolders the results are in.

• Tamir Levy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be much more intuitive for admin console managers.
        the same logic works when we search something in Outlook under inbox and it searched by default in all mailbox, which is great!
        on the same subject - improve the timing of the Search tab on the ribbon.
        as of today, we need to wait a few seconds before clicking the search bar in order for the search tab to appear.

• Hari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enhance search option in the console. When we search for application, packages or collections every time we have to select All Subfolders option. It would be great if that option can be incorporated as a single search.

This should be a simple and very obvious feature. Having to search every single time for the same thing or spend a lot of time combing through the folders is a huge waste of time and a pain.

• Patrik Holmqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! And even better if there could be a "go to" link also so you could go to the location with a single click!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base