Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Support installation of packages/apps via dynamic variables in Standalone Media

At the moment standalone media deployments only work when the content is referenced directly by the task sequence. There are some actions like installing apps/packages using dynamic variables which do not work.

The pre-staged media wizard was changed with SCCM 2012 SP1 so that you can add additional pre-staged content. I would like to see a similar approach where you can add additional content to standalone media and then this is checked first when the dynamic install action runs. There is already a process for adding the variables to the media, the only part that is missing is the ability to add the content and for the action to check if it is there.

We have a global OSD solution used by a large number of diverse business units and have to use dynamic variables for flexibility. We have built our own standalone media wizard using the SDK to allow the deployment teams to create standalone media based on the global TS but we would much prefer there to be solution native in the product. Having to build separate task sequences purely for standalone media is far from ideal...

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark Thomas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bob, thanks for the feedback. That's great news. If you are making some investment in standalone media you might be interested in some of the changes we incorporated into our wizard which we developed using the SDK. Some of the features would be of great value to other enterprise customers, happy to share the details with you.

Mark.

Feedback and Knowledge Base