Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Implement native cluster aware patching within SCCM to support cluster aware updating

Implement native cluster aware patching with SCCM to support cluster aware updating.

356 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DavidDavid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be prudent to 1. include basic documentation on use of feature 2. the feature does appear to be functional but has issues in 1606, tech preview for 1609 does not even mention this feature or improvements to it. 3. This feature should be a number one priority as it is a basic requirement for datacenter automation. 4. No new version preview or production should be released without updates to this feature which is currently broken.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice there are more features released in 1606, but the maintenance sequence list only populates in one of my environments... Is there a trick or step that I am missing, or is that a known issue?

• Martin WüthrichMartin Wüthrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi djam,
        the feature is shipped within the Current Branch 1602. Will there be some more information on the TechNet Pages?

• cgsilvercgsilver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I did try this out with a 2 Node cluster. The following happened:
        allowed offline 51% - both rebooted at the same time
        allowed offline 50% - both rebooted at the same time
        allowed offline 49% - none of them rebooted: even though the restart windows indicated, that an automatic reboot will happen, after the grace period, nothing happened. both windows were showing 00s remaining, none of them rebooted.

• Nicolas VanebergNicolas Vaneberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would be great, would be to be able to create one collection and all clusterer machines as members of it and that sccm could handle that in once. For the moment we need to create one collection for each cluster. I need to work with maintenance windows, so creating x collections + x maintenance windows is not feasible for me. For the tests I had with TEchnical Preview 3, it's a lot of work to configure and maintain it. One collection with all clusters and same maintenance window should be a very great improve. Else i'll continue with Orchestrator runbooks to handle the clusters patching.

• René KiersteinRené Kierstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

True, they talked about it at ignite, but the new feature must include better control with the cluster progress update than presented in the session.

• René KiersteinRené Kierstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should consider to include following functionality and error checking:

What should happen if one server in a sequence fails updating? Should the sequence stop and perform a rollback and report the error.
        (generally, the ability to rollback software updates deployed by SCCM would be nice)
        At least make it possible to configure if the sequence should stop or continue in case of an error.

Using scenario “Specify the maintenance sequence”
        Each step should have pre and post script options, including error handling (return codes). This is required to be able to control if a cluster resource is successfully moved to another cluster node before continuing the update sequence

Make sure that the function works with both software deploy and Windows updates.

Make sure that there are good logs. I can foresee some issue troubleshooting a failed update sequence if logging is missing.

Automated Support for patching SharePoint Farms (without having to take the entire farm offline)

Validate cluster services are online pre / post patching

Improved In-console Monitoring for patching critical servers like cluster > more detailed state messages sent back to server > state messages for critical server patching sent through with a higher priority (like the state messages for SCEP are)

Ability to configure alerts for cluster patching .

Ability to configure email enabled alerts for cluster patching failure / success

Ability to trigger Orchestrator runbooks as pre / post cluster patching actions

PowerShell cmdlets to configure cluster patching feature in Config Manager

Feedback and Knowledge Base