Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Allow uninstall of applications with dependencies

When you deploy an application with dependencies, you loose the option to uninstall it from software center. It would be nice to be able to uninstall the main app and be able to choose if the dependencies would uninstall or not.

164 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Bp shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Remy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is really annoiying. The uninstall and repair application in software center don't work with more than 1 deployment type. Because now the uninstall only works if 1 deploymenttype is present in the application (no dependencies).

The repair option only repairs the first deployment type and then stops, would be beteer that it repairs all deployment types that are in an application or the option to do so.

• TheLostBit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noted since 2015...why it is still missing? We can't use consequently the application model in practice when important features are still missing. We must be able to uninstall applications. If the dependencies do not provide this feature we need to use task sequences alternatively. But...Task sequences do not support 'Uninstall Application', so at least we need to use packages again instead of applications - especially when we need a certain sequence für install/uninstall. This is a technology step backward. Please help us to step forward and provide the missing feature in the nearer future.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had votes left, I would also vote for this. When you think of "dependancies" this doesn't just mean all the C++, dotnets etc. Often applications supplied by vendors have multiple installers required with one main app and multiple smaller required installs that make the main app function. you should be able to mark dependancies in some way that indicates they should be uninstalled if you run the uninstall on the main application.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be an option for an applications to be marked as prescience so it doesn't be uninstalled

• Melker Johansson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be an option for an applications to be marked as prescience so it doesn't be uninstalled .Like SQL client

• Paco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what about deploy the uninstall DT of dependencies to the same collection that the uninstall DT of the main application

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great. Specifically if we could choose the uninstall deployment type as the dependency (e.g. uninstall this software before install the new one).

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the question is as follows.

Install main app such as office which has a language pack as a dependency. Then when office is uninstalled have the option to uninstall the language pack well.

This is currently not possible and is needed. We have many apps like this in our environment and we have to script the uninstall when it should be able to do it for us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the OP, there are a LOT of apps that don't use what most would consider a true dependency like c++, .Net etc.

Instead they have other 3rd party apps etc, it isn't uncommon these are all separate installs.

You can script installation of these multi-parts but you lose built-in error reporting, version control, reuse of the dependency etc. We have numerous apps with 10 deps like this.

SCCM already tracks multiple App, dependency so you can't uninstall an application that is a dependency of another. Eric below mentioned an example where an app can't uninstall because a dependency is set on itself.

Good news is the multiple dependency hurdle mentioned by Mike could already be taken care of. :)

I would think a check box next to "auto-install" to allow uninstallation would be a fairly easy way to control if a dep is uninstalled with the app or not (only if another app doesn't need it).

• Eric Zabel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, you can't if there are a deployment type which has a dependency to another deployment type while in the same application. Let's say you wan't to install a program and have to set some user settings in HKCU as a script, you can use it as an dependency. This works fine but you will be never able to uninstall it the same way. This chain installation are a nice method to install programs with one or more dependencies since you don't have to add multiple applications just for one main application.

• Mike Horton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but in my experience you can uninstall apps with dependencies no problem (unless they're marked as required). However you can't uninstall any of the dependent applications and that's rightly so.

Feedback and Knowledge Base