Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Applications - Provide a means to have other applications run after an application is installed.

There is the ability to specify dependencies for Applications, however the ability to run another Application POST install would be awesome. Often when an application is installed there is a post configuration task that needs to run.

215 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes Please! I have SOOOOO many situations where this would be useful that I have to 'get creative' to get the job done!

Do we have anything of this sort in SCCM, yet? Any other mechanism of achieving this other than the Compliance Settings activity?

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea can we have an update as this was noted in 2015.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one is simple. I would like it if we can have SCCM install something and then after it is installed install any Post-requisite needs.

for example, I install Office, after I install office I would like to have our email encryption service installed.

This will help us get rid of batch files and scripts that are just a list of installs because one application needs to be installed and it needs 3 others after it in order to work properly.

We've just started using SCCM after coming from an Altiris world. It is actually quite a change having to figure out dependencies rather than create application installations that can have multiple steps. In Altiris there's a package and a job. We can use packages inside of jobs and the jobs can have several tasks (including logic, if necessary). We can then deploy and publish the job rather than just a package. This is extremely useful in the situations where we, like others, need to apply a license file, registry change or delete/add shortcuts. Altiris (now Symantec) has been doing this for more than 10 years and yet it doesn't exist here.

Something to consider when implementing this. If I have an application that is 10GB but the client is set to 5GB client cache but want the app model to auto upgrade the cache limit... I can't currently do this. I would like to write a simple app that upgrades the client cache and attach it as a dependency but that won't work. This is because the app model will fail as the primary app tries to validate and realizes there is no room so it bombs out. Simple fix, individually validate when multiple applications are dependent.

• Jeremy Herbison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I want to deploy a hotfix or service pack as an application. I want to treat it essentially as a dependency that is installed after the requiring app, not before. Right now this can be done by deleting the original "RTM" deployment, making "RTM" a dependency of the service pack, and then deploying the service pack. But what I really want to do is just attach the service pack to "RTM" as a "post-dependency" so that it gets installed afterwards. The existing deployments shouldn't need to change.

It would be nice to have a post-install option in Applications that can install software after the main software is installed. Like the Dependencies in Applications allows for software to be installed before the main software is installed, sometimes there is a requirement for software to be installed afterwards.
        We frequently find we need the main software installed first and then to run another command such as copy a file, set a license key and that this can only occur after the main software is installed.

• Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request is valid and would simplify things outside of compliance settings. A compliance setting, while useful and powerful, is a separate component of ConfigMgr and won't be achieved in a timely manner. It also makes things harder to keep track of.

If I need to run a post-installation step like setting a license server or deleting some shortcuts, I need that done right away. Adding logic to application dependencies to include post-installation as well as pre-installation would be a tremendous feature enhancement. This gets my vote.

I really like this idea. Why package a server name into the application when you could use an easily editable CI to set the servername and change it at any time. This would also tie the 2 objects together making it easier to manage things on a per application basis. While its easy to retire an "application" you have to remember to check the CIs etc etc.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/06/10/tell-us-your-suggestions-for-configuration-manager.aspx is similar but you must setup compliance settings then link your application to it. This may work but I think simply being able to run another application post (like a dependency is run pre) would be much simpler.

Here's one example that I currently have. I deploy a variety of Autodesk products that use network licensing (AutoCAD, Map 3D, Simulate, etc.). I have one package for each of those and I have another package with a script that runs a SetLicenseServer PowerShell script. This PowerShell script needs to run AFTER AutoCAD, Map 3D or Simulate runs. If I deployed SetLicenseServer and set AutoCAD as a dependency I would need to deploy SetLicenseServer for Map 3D and Simulate as well, giving me 3 copies of the same package (SetLicenseServer).

• Kenneth Merenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to link an application to another application as an update/addon install, similar to the way I can link a dependency. The only difference between the update/addon install and the dependency would be the order. The install order should be
        1. Dependencies
        2. Application
        3. Updates/Addons

• Shawn Beaulieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with the original idea; since you have to deploy the POST config. task it's name must reflect the actual Application you are deploying so when it shows in Software Center it doesn't say "Post Config" it says "Application X" this is also true for especially for the Application Catalog. It's confusing and messy. This has really been an issue since dependencies were introduced with packages and program. Why not have the ability to specify when a dependency is "Pre" or "Post"

• Aaron Whittaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking the same thing, you just work backwards with whatever will be the last step having a dependency on the step that needs to occur before it. It still amazes me how many people don't understand the concept. While this would be a nice addition I don't think that it is really needed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base