Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Daisy chain Task Sequences (OSD and non-OSD)

I would like to see the ability to launch one task sequence from within another task sequence. For some processes, you run the same steps across multiple deployments. Today, you have to duplicate these steps across many task sequences. The ability to execute a task sequence from a task sequence would alleviate this need and reduce errors and inconsistencies for administrators.

1,244 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jerry shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Admindjam (Admin, System Center Configuration Manager) responded  · 

This features is included in #ConfigMgr 1710 release.

General Blog: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/?p=67486
    Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1710

The notes for the 1711 Tech Preview apply here too and we’ll continue to work on these

Console actions are fixed in many instances where we didn’t traverse the referenced packages/content
    Export now exports child task sequence and referenced content – secrets are cleared from the referenced task sequences too
    Task Sequence import now works and detects duplicates
    Copy action copies parent and all reference to child task sequences
    Delete action detects if there’s a parent child relationship and displays what’s affected
    Similarly deleting packages that are in child task sequences is detected and shown in the delete package wizard
    Initially we had limited to one level – now there’s no limit, but use that wisely
    Related to the above, we do not permit a circular reference i.e. a parent cannot reference same parent, a parent cannot reference a child that references same parent – we traverse the entire chain
    Create Prestage Content is updated to work for task sequences with multiple child references
    Deployment Verification now detects when the child contains the ‘high-impact’ steps
    Standalone media creation detects and adds all task sequence and content references and completes end-to-end

Things to note
    We do not permit selecting a task sequence with a Boot Image reference, for any deployment that requires a boot image that reference has to be on the parent
    Any chain containing a disabled task sequence will fail – the continue on error won’t work for that step
    Criteria for popping the ‘high-impact’ warning are not detected in Software Center when the child contains the ‘high-impact’ steps, in this case our recommendation is to use the Task Sequence User Notification properties to force the ‘high-impact’ warning
    If a child task sequence has a package reference removed the parent does not detect this. To workaround, make any edit to the parent (anything that activates Apply)

As always we appreciate any and all feedback, try it out and let us know what you think

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Friedel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks. I did create a bug on Connect this morning. I agree that this is related to, but not exactly the same as the item mentioned by djam. I just want to make sure the Apply Driver Package steps don't get overlooked, especially since the comment from Bob Mac Neill below indicates that adding applications or packages to the child are detected by the parent. This is an example of an addition to a child that is not detected by the parent.

• Richard Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't edit comments so I've had to delete my old comment and retype it. I realised I misread the two issues and incorrectly conflated them.

@Joe Friedel This seems related to the known issue djam mentions above ["If a child task sequence has a package reference removed the parent does not detect this. To workaround, make any edit to the parent (anything that activates Apply)"] but isn't quite the same so it could be a differnet issue.

Bugs are logged and tracked through MS Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext

• Joe Friedel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the best way to report bugs regarding this feature?

I have a child task sequence for OSD driver deployment. I recently added a new step with a new driver package. The computer running the task sequence picked up the additional step but was unable to find the package on any DP. Looking at the references tab for the parent task sequence, the new driver package was not shown until I opened it for editing and made a change to allow me to click Apply. Based on the previous comment, adding applications or packages to a child task sequence should be detected by the parent, but in this case, the step was detected without the content.

• Phillip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. Is this a pre-release feature in CB 1710? Or is it officially production. Reason I am asking is that in the setup wizard for CB1710 it lists as pre-release, yet in the official documentation for CB1710 there is no mention of it being pre-release

• Roth, Chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great news. We like most have a few task sequences with a good part of the sections, like drivers or applications, that are the same between them. This lessens the administrative burden when updating something that would have to be updated multiple places.

• Russell Garrett-Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would just like to say thank you very much for taking the time to add this feature. I feel enormously proud to see it added to the latest version :) So thank you

• AdminBob Mac Neill (Admin, System Center Configuration Manager) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RE: "If a child task sequence has a package reference removed the parent does not detect this. To workaround, make any edit to the parent (anything that activates Apply)"

Does this mean if a Child Task has a package/application changed/added/deleted, the Parent Task must be re-created?

If Applications or Packages are added the change is detected.
        If any are deleted they are not detected. You do not have to re-create the Parent, just make an edit e.g. update a description field and then save. That action will pick up the changes made

• SomeDude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RE: "If a child task sequence has a package reference removed the parent does not detect this. To workaround, make any edit to the parent (anything that activates Apply)"

Does this mean if a Child Task has a package/application changed/added/deleted, the Parent Task must be re-created?

• Jay Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a small UI improvement thought - In TS Editor it would be nice to be able to view all the steps but greyed out (disabled from editing)/Or Another color to show that it's another task sequence

• Adam Juelich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still in progress. The last time I talked to David he stressed the fact that Task Sequences must be rock-solid and go under much more scrutiny. Until they can confirm it is stable, they won't put it into Production releases of CB.

• SomeDude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just about to upgrade to baseline 1706 to get this feature that was "Started" in Technical Preview 1704.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1706
        TL;DR: Parent-Child Task Sequences are not mentioned.

Now I won't bother. This my workplace #1 issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/technical-preview
        To add insult to injury, NONE of the subsequent Technical Previews (1707, 1708) even mention this feature.

IOW: The "Daisy chain Task Sequences" feature seems to have been dropped. Can someone please confirm?

• Kamalakannan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would enable the large organization to deploy the location specific task sequence with the nested option and also encourage and enhance the use of Application in the task sequence rather than a package

• Dominik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really was hoping this feature comes with 1706, but its not even included as a pre release feature. Maintaining several task sequences is such a pain right now. Can someone please update the status of that? Thanks.

• Daniel Booth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen asap, its the single most important feature that's missing, it would solve a lot of issues and time consuming tasks.

• Jens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please could someone from the team update on this. I have waited so long for this. Even if the update is that it is not happening.

• d4rkcell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to create a task sequence that simple has "install application steps in it. This TS could be called "Standard appset" and this would be in all our task sequences (we have a lot of different builds - its a university!). We wouldnt need to modify 30 task sequences to change the standard appset we just change the one ts which is referenced in all the others.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base