Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Show version incompatability and allow ability to upgrade console to match the Primary site version of Configuration Manager

Today, you can be running a console with one version, that is not in synch with what is running on the primary. The only way you'll know is if you are missing features added to a newer release or if troubleshooting leads you down that route. You have to check the about page in the console to verify version number and compare that against what is installed on the Primary site server to see if they match, what I'm proposing is an easy visual way in the console to inform you when your versions don't match, and to offer the ability to upgrade via a simple click,.

to repro:
Install Configuration Manager 2012 R2 CU3 on the primary, and on a computer that has the Configuration Manager 2012 R2 console installed, connect, you will not be informed of the version difference and will never know it was different unless you went and actively looked for the difference.

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Niall C. Brady shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Niall C. Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi Mark, there are lots of reasons, if you are using a different version you may not be seeing all the features available to the product (for example fixed powershell cmdlets was a valid reason), or features that have been added/resolved/fixed via an update. Or simply an inability to do things due to the wrong version of the console being installed not matching what's on the primary. My attached pic should give an indication (visible) to the end-user that an update is available, and i think that is key also. (to be informed !), today, you'd have to go hunting to find out,....

Feedback and Knowledge Base