In-place upgrade Task sequence should check if actual OS upgrade has completed
1) We are performing in-place upgrade from 1709 to 1903,1909, 20H2.
2) We have created In-place upgrade task sequence and deploying OS upgrade package using CB 2010.
3) Client machine is getting the TS and executing.
4) It reboots the system to upgrade the OS.
5) After reboot while OS is still upgrading, due to any driver issue or any other reason, window rolls back the upgrade.
6) We login to the system again and see it on older version 1709 , as expected.
7) We check the status of task sequence on Software Center and it shows as “Installed”
8) We check the status of deployment on SCCM console and it shows deployment status as “ Success” with status message 11171
In reality the upgrade has not completed. There should be some check in the task sequence which could see the status of actual upgrade + send a status message accordingly, if upgrade doesnt happen.