Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Explanation on SCCM linux/unix client deprecation

Why was the SCCM Linux/Unix client deprecated. Some SCCM customers use and depend on this functionality. Why is it no longer being invested in?

111 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Admindjam (Product Director, or Executive, System Center Configuration Manager) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Install OMI as a separate package from https://github.com/Microsoft/omi/releases
    Then run the SCCM client install script.

Don't forget to change the install script openssl version line to:
    OPENSSL_SYSTEM_VERSION_100=`echo $OPENSSL_SYSTEM_VERSION_FULL | grep -Eq '^1.(0|1).'; echo $?`

• Hüseyin SAKA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same problem is in Pardus operating system. OpenSSL 1.1.0 support is still not available.

• Marcus Holland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So if the Linux SCCM client is being dropped, what is the future of cross-platform management? Will the same be true of intune/co-management?

At new Ubuntu 18.04 bionic release it uses openssl 1.1.*, so when I tried to isntall SCCM agent I've faced with the following issue:

This system's OpenSSL version: 1.1.0g
    Supported versions: 0.9.8*, 1.0.*

Could you please update SCCM source code to use new openssl package version?

Regards, Kirill B.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointing that the Linux clients are being deprecated in 1810. Feels like continuing the trend of dumping small but useful features from on-prem products and pushing people to cloud offerings. If all I want is to get inventory data on Linux servers, there's no way it makes any sense to set up OMS and give me yet another (enormous) product to manage. I get that the clients aren't used by thousands of shops. And given the fact that any ideas here with the word Linux in them have almost zero response, it's apparent the justification isn't there to develop them a lot more. But does that really mean you have to kill them off?

• Hunterkll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking of this in regards to managing cloud servers on an outside DMZ - not end user workstations.

• Harshal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide new SCEP and SCCM agents that can support Ubuntu 16.04 OS. Also, management layer for SCEP non-Windows agent in SCCM instead of managing it via SCOM.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While deploying Configuration Manager current branch to our Linux servers, we discovered (and confirmed with MSFT) that the Linux CM agent will not communicate with Secondary Sites, only the Primary site. This causes us unexpected WAN network traffic. This is also different behavior from the Windows CM agent which makes optimal site design impossible.

• Todd Mote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Heck, maybe let all the clients, Windows too, use it, I have untrusted domain clients that need this too.

• Todd Mote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently in an HTTPS only SCCM infrastructure it is cumbersome to get client certificates for Linux computers from a Microsoft CA. It would be great if the Linux SCCM client could make use of the Enrollment Point to make this process of enrolling for and renewing certificates easier.

• lthomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about functionality to use preferred management points for Linux/UNIX machines? From what I have read and tested Nix based systems don't honor the preferred management point settings.

• Alan Dooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SCEP client for Unix can not be installed unattended as it requires console input. This means that you cannot use ConfigMgr to deploy it Unix clients. In our environment we hacked the installer script to remove the prompts but we'd rather not have to do this.

There should be a way to run unix/linux sccm client under unprivileged account with sudo access.

• Peter Henning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

automatically management client logfile is needed. Other Tools eq logrotate and so on are known but not unrewarding. We have to optimize the disk space, so no big logfiles schould created.

• lthomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IBCM does not work for Linux/Unix.

Can this be looked at, or could the option to use a 'gateway' server (like OpsMgr) be looked at.

Feedback and Knowledge Base