Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Remote Control: Improve Multi-Monitor Experience

Business Case (I know how you PMs love these):
The current CB 1902 implementation is going to make this conversation part of our helpdesk script:
“What screen is the app on?”
“Can you move that window to the monitor where X is showing?”
“No, not that one.”
“Nope, still don’t’ see it”
“Ok let me reconnect in full screen, please accept the prompt again.”
“No no no, don’t hang up the phone, that’s not how this works.”
“Ok, you should see a prompt to allow me to connect.”
“Nope it’s there, trust me.”
“Got it, thanks. Ok, let me move that over here.”
“Ok, I’m going to reconnect again so I can see what’s going on.”
*Click*
“You just hung up, didn’t you?”

This is going to waste time on support calls and leave both sides dissatisfied with the entire experience. In turn, customers will continue implementing other third party remote control tools. Remove Viewer was absolutely a selling point for ConfigMgr and was one of the features that lured us away from our previous solution.

Solution:
1) The ability to select _any_ single screen connected to the remote device in addition to the current all screen view.
2) The ability to change monitor selection without having to reconnect the remove viewer.

Notes:
I could probably live with automatic reconnection provided that the admin stays in the Remote Viewer app at all times and doesn’t need to retype anything (device name/credentials) nor the end user re-accept the prompt if one is configured.
In my dreams the ability to pick a single screen is built into the full screen mode. In full screen mode the admin clicks a button that overlays each monitor with a number and an outline. If this sounds like display setting’s ‘Identify Monitors’ that’s because that’s exactly what I’m thinking of. However, don’t stop there. In that identification mode make the monitors selectable such that when I click on one it immediately becomes the single monitor I’m connected to.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
bdam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pascal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 from me as well
    The current 1902 implementation is a joke and not usable with users with 3 or even more screens..

• franck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 on this too.
    the PMAD is a very big pain point in the solution for our team support.
    thx

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had this very issue with a user (based in another country)...

"Sorry I just launched Windows Explorer but it is on your other screen - could you move it over to the screen with Outlook on please..."

It will be interesting the next time I connect to one of our Norwegian user's workstations and I try to use the on-screen keyboard to enter my 15+ digit admin password :-|

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 on this, We currently use N-Central for our remote suppose and this is ecactly how it works.
    there is a drop down which shows a tiny miny preview of all screens and you just click on it to select which monitor you want to see. its quick and painless and allows you to jump around screens at full size no matter how many screens a user has

im trying to convince our SD to move over fully to SCCM for support and this would be a great bit to add to my arguments

• Paul Wetter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I’d add to the wish list for this, it could include mini previews of each remote monitor to allow point and click switching. :-)

Feedback and Knowledge Base