Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Allow offline patching of Feature Updates

Currently (as far as I can tell anyway) there is no way to offline patch a feature update. I'm currently in the process of developing an upgrade strategy for moving from 1709 to 1809.

At the moment, I have to deploy the feature update, and once complete, the subsequent patches are applied soon after, increasing disruption to users already inconvenienced by having their computer offline for at least 30 minutes while the feature update applies.

It would be great if the feature update could be kept "up-to-date" by allowing offline patching, and therefore necessitating only a single reboot, which would reduce computer downtime and user inconvenience.

Thanks.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jayson Gabler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jayson Gabler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, we tried a task sequence last time, and while it was good in terms of the flexibility it provided, it meant four months worth of night work for me, so we want to avoid repeating that. Hence why we'd like to deploy 1809 as an update as the users are used to that.

• pilgi3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use an inplace upgrade tasksequence with an OS upgrade package. You can offline patch the OS upgrade packages.

Feedback and Knowledge Base