Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

OSUninstall - Make ConfigMgr Aware of going back to previous builds

Please Make CM aware if an OSUninstall (Reverting to previous Build) has happened, so it can heal itself into a functional state. Currently if you perform an OSUninstall from say 1809 to 1709, after you've upgraded originally to 1809 using a CM Task Sequence, the CM Client is non-functional.
Client is in Provisioning Mode, Services are disabled, and once you fix that, it thinks it's int he middle of the Task Sequence and shows the Upgrade TS "Installing", so then you need to clear that out.

Please make OSUninstall & CM Play Nice together, so we can offer users the ability to revert to previous build if they find an application problem or other issues after upgraded.

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Gary Blok shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gary Blok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make sure you also check for the Windows 10 Setup Engine, in my tests, when I roll back, fix the client and clear the TS, during that period the TS actually resumes where it left off, (OS Upgrade Step) and the Setup Engine is launched. I have to also check for the Setup Engine and Kill that process to make sure it doesn't get into an Upgrade / Fail cycle. More info: https://garytown.com/automated-client-recovery-from-rollback-or-os-uninstall

• Joe Novo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In support of this features request... Just like Apps have an uninstall/repair option, for Upgrade Task Sequence I would like to have a "Rollback" to previous build option.

The manual fixes described by Gary are a pain and CM should be aware of the rollback. -Joe

• Gary Blok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally, I'd like to see a Tab in the Software Center Dedicate to "WaaS", and an option would be OSUninstall. This would also then leverage the rights of CMClient, where as the built in Windows Feature requires Admin Permission, which is why we use the DISM Command (DISM /Online /Initiate-OSUninstall) triggered by a Package-Program so non-elevated users can trigger it.

While I'm asking, I'd like the process triggered in the [Future] Software Center WaaS Tab to launch dialog box collecting information from the user as to why they are reverting, similar to the default Windows experience.

Feedback and Knowledge Base