Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Pre-Req Checks

Perform permission checks on key locations where sccm will be setup. We had a problem experienced a few years ago where we had a "hash mismatch" error b/c the account I was using to perform the upgrade did not have permission to the install directory.

https://sccmf12twice.com/2017/02/sccm-2012-r2-sp1-failed-upgrade/

this problem is still possible in CB

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Christopher Buck shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further, along the same lines. The other thing that nearly always failed was for the installation process to verify that all components/roles had been stopped. Every. Single. Time. SQL would fail to go into single user mode because there were active connections to the DB and thus the upgrade would fail part way through.

• bdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AMEN Christopher. In our org our DBAs (who really are great, we love them) wanted a service account for the install versus using my own account. Makes migrations much easier when the DBO isn't an account that is no longer in AD. As a result, almost all of our initial upgrade attempts failed for one reason or another. So please enhance the pre-req check to look for all the necessary permisssions needed. Just today my TP upgrade stalled for hours before failing b/c it wasn't a local admin on the stie server. Had to dig into the logs to figure out it couldn't create a folder due to lack of permissions. This just seems like a very straight-forward thing to add.

For reference, all of this and more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/hierarchy/accounts#site-installation-account

Feedback and Knowledge Base