Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Improve performance of 'Install Software Update' Task Sequence step (outside of OSD)

I've been using a custom made Task Sequence to deploy updates to a number of servers in our environment, and I've noticed that performance of the 'Install Software Updates' TS step. The main reason for using this approach is that I can run additional pre- and post- installation steps (like disabling/re-enabling app services, etc.) which simplifies the process and allows scalability. Usually, a deployment is created well in advance that advertises the required SUG (deployed as available) to a particular set of machines and all I need is to have only the updates that are made available for the server to be installed in scope of this step. What I have noticed is that if I trigger installation of the updates via Software Center, those get installed much quicker than it usually takes for the 'Install Software Update' task sequence step to complete. I'd really like if there was a way (i.e. a new mode or anything) to make 'Install Software Update' task run as fast (or at least close to) as Software Center triggered activity.

I did put some comments in the following thread as well (https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8363181-fix-the-software-update-task-sequence-built-in-ts), however that one seems to be OSD specific, while in my case, the Task Sequence is executed on an already deployed machine.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google