Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

ConfigurationManager PowerShell module should register itself as an Env Variable

Today, when you install the CM Console, the PowerShell module will be placed under the %CMInstallDirectory%\AdminConsole\Bin\ConfigurationManager.psd1

This makes sense given where the user is choosing to install the console, and that's fine. But placing it here off the beaten path means that it is not importable using PowerShell's module autodiscovery features. For instance, if a module is found in any of the standard user or system paths (or registered under the $ENV:PsModulePath) the user can easily import the module without having to specify the full path, a big user quality of life win. This is the way that SQL Server handles their modules, and they are the golden child, beloved by all PowerShell nerdoes like me.

So, my suggestion is to continue placing it where it is today, and also register the path using the standard mechanism, excerpted below.

[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable("PSModulePath",$p)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd878350(v=vs.85).aspx

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen Owen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Taylor Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with this. It should be registered during console installation, just like the AdmPwd.PS module feature when you install the LAPS package.

• JB Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By placing the psd1 in a directory whose name doesn't match the name of the module it further breaks the discover-ability!

• Stephen Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify, assuming I've installed CM to E:\CM, I have to import the module running

import-module E:\CM\AdminConsole\bin\ConfigurationManager.psd1

However, if the path were registed as I recommend above, I could run simply

Import-Module ConfigurationManager

And it would automatically import. Even better, you don't NEED to import a module first. Module Autodiscovery will import the module for you at the first time that you attempt to use a CM cmdlet on that system. It really *IS* great.

Feedback and Knowledge Base