Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Phased deployments - Parent/Limiting and Child Collections

When creating a phased deployment, I would like to define a parent collection (for example, “All Win7” workstations) that will serve as a limiting collection for the collections defined on each phase. This would allow me to create collections for each phase (like rings; for example: Canary, Pilot, Production) that could be used across various phased deployments.

That way, if I target a Windows 10 Upgrade TS to my “All Win7” collection, with phases targeting the Canary, Pilot, and Production collections, it would go like this:
- PCs in the Canary collection that are also in All Win7
- PCs in the Pilot collection that are also in All Win7
- PCs in the Prod collection that are also in All Win7

This helps me by requiring fewer collections to manage and encourages the “ring” concept beyond just OS Deployments, assuming phased deployments eventually come to software updates, applications, or other object types.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Matt Schultz [BCBSNE] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alexandre Patenaude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not very accustomed to phased deployments, but from what I've seen: when you create a phased deployment, you have to select existing collections for your various phases -- the phased deployment wizard won't create new collection. Using existing collections mean you can set various limiting collection per phases.

• James Mymryk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Assuming you use Maintenance windows would you not have two types of collections,
    1 - Deployment Collection(s) targeted with the type of installation (eg Auto install auto reboot, auto install no reboot, Manual)
    2 - Maintenance window Collections for your phases, Canary, pilot, production with appropriate windows. Standardized deployments, even if a canary is a member of another phase, it just means the machine gets an additional maintenance window.
    Or are you looking for something else?

Feedback and Knowledge Base