Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Create a feature like the WSUS Selfupdate feature for updating WUA

Hi all,

with the older WSUS versions we had the selfupdate mechanism that kept the client WUA version up to date, before attempting any scan.

This has since been deprecated, because WUA started to be patched outside of the updates for WSUS itself (like KB2938066).

This has lead to a lot of enterprise environments having different and very old WUA versions among the install base.

In order to address this problem at the moment, the ConfigMgr admins have to use a method like the one below:
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2014/07/14/how-to-install-the-windows-update-agent-on-client-computers/

This is an overhead for any admins and should be easier.

It would be good to ship the latest WUA version through a similar mechanism as selfupdate.

Thank you,
Andrei

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Andrei Stoica shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andrei Stoica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Windows 10 this is not such a big issue, since you get the latest WUA agent through the Cumulative Updates, this is actually a bigger problem for Win7&Win8.1.

• Paul Ramagost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't see this suggestion during a search so I posted the same suggestion a couple hours ago. As far as I can tell, this affects Windows 10 systems, not the previous OS versions. The SelfUpdate website still exists on the WSUS server I have so I'm assuming older OS versions can still update the WUA from it. Also, the link you provided to update the agent doesn't cover Windows 10. Support says the only way the update agent gets updated now is via monthly cumulative updates. That means you must download the most current CU and deploy it outside of the Software Updates feature in SCCM. Here's a link to the thread I made with some more details but in the end I'm requesting the same exact thing you are in this thread.

https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/33467140-windows-update-agent-self-update

Feedback and Knowledge Base