Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Set CCMEXEC Service to "Auto" while running a OS Task Sequence

It would be cool, if you set the CCMEXEC Service to "Auto" automatically while running a Task Sequence. After OS Deployment run, it sould be set to "Delayed" again.

This would Speed up OS Deplyoment up to 15 Minutes!

(We tested it in here with a TS Step after CCMSetup Step) cmd /c sc config "CcmExec" start= auto

69 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
FU shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After working a few cases with this done in the Task Sequence, I would ask that it is reconsidered. Some blogs recommended this change caused an influx in cases intermittently when machines began to have faster HD and processors etc. It would be best if the ramifications were considered and mentioned as I am doing so here. With the faster machines such as ones with NVME drives and also with drivers that may take longer to initiate ahead of time, the OSD TS can fail.

It may help some folks shave off 15 minutes but also cause other folks days and weeks of diagnosing failures.

• Frank Rojas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is actually a really bad idea. This was changed back in ConfigMgr 2012 SP1/R2 and it caused tons of problems. The main problem was that the ConfigMgr client would start up really fast on fast PCs and on some networks, the network connection would not be fully available. This caused the client to evaluate to Internet instead of Intranet. End result is it would cause the client to start looking for Internet based MPs and DPs and tasks would start failing, primarily the Install Application task and the Install Software Updates task. If your environment supports setting this task to Auto, then great, but the default should remain at Delayed and only changed manually to Auto for environments that support it.

• Levi Stevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something I do to optimize my OSD. Including setting the restart timer to 0 with the variable.

• Patrik Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rebuild the SCCM Client so we don´t need to wait everytime the OSD reboots for the client to Initializing the System Center Configuration Manager Client

Feedback and Knowledge Base