Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Task Sequence Pre-Cache for all Packages inside

It would be nice to have the ability to conditionally pre-cache all packages in Upgrade TS and not only OS Upgrade step.

To describe it in more details, in current design we are able to pre-cache only OS Upgrade step to computers based on conditions. This is not enough for companies with 20+ languages as best approach is to create en-us core image and then apply MUI on top of that. Doing this will cause system to report as e.g. de-de so we would need to download and distribute to 150+ DPs all supported Upgrade packages instead of distributing only en-us Upgrade package and them distribute much smaller MUIs.

As SCCM is currently supporting conditional pre-download in OS upgrade step so the function is already there, extending it to whole Upgrade TS will be a great benefit as we can then also put there e.g. Driver packs => so client will download only applicable driver pack, en-us Upgrade and appropriate MUI from one larger Upgrade TS. Right now we have to have 50 different Upgrade TSs to be able to support all languages in our company.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Adam Absolon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Refreshing the status…

We released our 1905 Technical Preview today. This release adds Packages for pre-cache and the Driver Package creation wizard is updated too.

Doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/get-started/2019/technical-preview-1905
Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Group-applications-into-a-single-deployment-in-ConfigMgr/ba-p/624318

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Adam Absolon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bob, big thumbs up to your team for adding it to latest TP & include driver pkgs and OS images, I will try it ASAP! :)

• Aravinth Mathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If implemented for all objects within TS, reduces upgrade time a lot!! My users can smile and upgrade over a coffee break without any delay

• AdminBob Mac Neill (Software Engineer, System Center Configuration Manager) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RE: I would say that it is still not implemented as if it would be then the status will be different. But that is something for MS guys to answer, Bob?

Hi,
    That's correct, pre-cache is limited to OS Upgrade Packages for now.
    Adding the additional properties to Driver Packages is a small part of the work required to pre-cache Driver Packages, there's quite a bit of additional work with Content transfer, ExecMgr etc.
    The additional properties were added to help manage deleting packages when there's no corresponding model in the environment.

I've no update for adding pre-cache for other objects.

• Adam Absolon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say that it is still not implemented as if it would be then the status will be different. But that is something for MS guys to answer, Bob?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm wondering if this is now working as SCCM 1810 has the option to specify model and manufacture for driver packages.

• Sven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of pre-downloading all package content when pre-downloading a TS with multiple <Download Package Content> steps, make sure the client only pre-downloads the content if the condition set on the individual TS step is evaluated to be <true>.
    E.g. If Model X, I do not want to (pre-) download drivers for model Y, as this step would be skipped later-on anyway, when actually running the Upgrade TS.

PS. This extra "intelligence" would also be helpful on nested TS steps. Now the pre-download setting downloads all referenced content - for all <Download Package Content> steps - from the main TS itself, but also any <Download Package Content> steps from all Child TS's (even though there is a condition on the <Run Child TS> step which would be evaluated as <false>)

• Nectarios Gritzalis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Pre-Caching is already being validated/actioned for OS Upgrade packages in the TS, why not just also have an option that flags the pre-caching need in the "Run Command Line", "Install Package ", and "Install Application" step to allow these particular TS steps to also be pre-cacheable if desired, assuming the WMI condition is matched.
    This would simplify everything greatly since customers like us with 40+ HW models don't have to run separate TSes just to pre-cache the appropriate drivers, packages, etc..to the different models and not everything for all hardware models as "Download all content before starting task sequence" currently does.

Feedback and Knowledge Base