Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Config Manager OOBE

I was at Ignite last month and got very excited about Intune and OOBE using Autopilot but I work for a very large corporation that is not ready to move to AAD/Intune for some time and I thought this would be an Idea for companies not ready to move to these new platforms just yet.

If an OOBE option was added into CM which allowed you to add in the same HASH value you can get from the manufacturer or by running the script yourself you could still use the OOBE OS deployment option like Intune/Autopilot.

Just have the OOBE section under the "Software Library" tab where you can set deployments and OS configurations the same as you would have using the "Windows configuration designer" or even import the package built using "Windows configuration designer". Under this section you could assign these Hash's to specific profiles (i.e. Finance or Engineering) which would run a specific ppkg which you imported.

The Cleanest way would be to have all the options in "Windows configuration designer" able to set from inside the CM console to each desired profile.

Then when a user gets their new desktop from the internal IT department (or at a remote site connected via the standard internal network) they can run the standard OOBE and after they answer the typical starter questions and select network CM takes over and does the same as Autopilot would have done but only on an intranet level keeping it all internal.

This then could pull needed packages from CM to get the SOE finished, give the profile settings a similar feel to a Task Sequence as in assigning which packages in what order to install with needed reboots to get the user operational.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nat Thulke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google