Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Set Maximum Run Time on Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 > 10 minutes

Cumulative Updates for Windows Server 2016 sync with a maximum run time of 10 minutes every month. The same cumulative update for Windows 10 1607 is set to 60 minutes.

Could you set the Server 2016 to 60 minutes instead of 10? This update never completes in less that 30 or 45 minutes.

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • mikeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had runtime exceeded issue with September CU when set to 60 minutes.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone tell me how to do this on Server 2016 Essentials. None of the CU's will apply on my server automatically. If I download them from the update catalog and run them they will install but it takes over an hour to do them. They always fail if using Windows update and the log says user cancelled after about 10 minutes.

• Trey Bruneau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update on this, however I am noticing that with the recent upgrade to v1710 are all cumulative updates now flagged as MRT 60mins on 2012-2016? For example Internet Explorer and .NET. The 2008 platforms are still at 10-15mins, but everything else is at 60mins. As a customer that has very strict maintenance windows 120mins. this prohibits us from getting all patching done within that window if the agent thinks there isn't enough time to complete. Thanks!

• Chad Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another PowerShell solution...
    This could easily be setup as a Status Filter Rule to automatically run on a Software Update sync.
    I'm using 105 minutes since all of my Maintenance Windows are 120 minutes and 60 isn't sufficient for some of my servers.

$MaximumExecutionMins = 105; Get-CMSoftwareUpdate -Fast -CategoryName @('Windows 10','Windows Server 2016') -IsExpired $false -IsSuperseded $false | Where MaxExecutionTime -LT $($MaximumExecutionMins*60) | Set-CMSoftwareUpdate -MaximumExecutionMins $MaximumExecutionMins

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I changed the setting with powershell

Get-CMSoftwareUpdate -Fast -DatePostedMin (get-date).AddDays(-30) | where LocalizedDisplayName -match '.*Security Only Quality.*|.*Security Monthly Quality.*' | Set-CMSoftwareUpdate -MaximumExecutionMinutes 30

• Patrick Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we need this for Server 2016!!! Also for .Net updates. Had the same issue with August 2017 updates. It'd really be ideal to allow users the ability to define MRT values for updates dynamically based on "like" values with wildcards or something to that effect. This way we won't have to wait on SCCM updates to adjust runtimes for specific update types.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do it already! It's stupid putting it at 10 minutes and handing out a 1GB file to install...

• bdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 1706 the team improved this for Windows 10 but overlooked doing the same for Server 2016. I would put forth that all CUs should receive this treatment regardless of OS. Windows 7, Server 2008 R2, Server 2012, and Server 2012 R2 are all receiving cumulative quality updates that are often going to take longer than the current default of 10 minutes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base