Support for BITS version 3.5 in the client settings
In SCCM CB, only the BITS setting of version 1.5 is supported in the client settings.
These allow only restrictions to common day and make no difference between the workdays or maintenance days.
The support of a more recent bit version (eg 3.5 - Windows 7 or later) would allow more significant improvements to the content download of Agents and Pull DP:
1. Differentiation between working days and days off
2. Differentiation of bandwidths depending on the job priority
3. Set maintenance days
A large IT organization with about 1500 Pull DPs has successfully implemented the BITS 3.5 Settings via GPO:
1. The download of software packages to Pull DP could be accelerated considerably, because the weekend could be better used.
The download period increased from 75 hours to 105 hours (ca.50%). The bandwidth limitation of the pull DP is more comparable to a standard DP.
2. The installation duration over the weekend could be reduced to 25% until 5% depending on the package size.
3. Emergency deployments or system customizations are distributed with high package priority and can be installed without BITS restrictions.
Currently, these settings can only be implemented using AD-GPO or with a script.
Different BITS settings depend on the system role or system state are difficult and inconvenient.
Support for BITS version 3.5 in the client settings of System Center Configuration Manager would be much easier and safer.
Michael Coppola commented
Very good idea, it would also be nice to set the BITS Priority on each deployment too.
Marco Cibis (MS) commented
excellent idea - would be great to have this implemented soon.