Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Task Sequence - Non Terminating Error Prompt w/continue button

Some steps in my OSD are not as important as others like installing an app or two that could fail and will retry again when the client has launched post OSD. For these I use the continue on error option in the task sequence step. There are of course other uses for this.

My idea is to change continue on error to continue silently on error and add new option; continue as non-terminating error (or some other descriptive name).

The continue silently on error would do as the name suggests and continue silently on error (what the continue on error button does now).

The continue as non-terminating error option will mean if an error is seen, it is thrown as a non-terminating error with the option to continue and a timeout on the action like the error screen. This gives the person running the TS knowledge that the TS had a soft error (and to possibly contact their support team) but can continue without having to trawl through logs or find out the hard way the step errored.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea but maybe leave "continue on error" as is and add a "Prompt to continue on error" which like you described would give the option to continue the TS, but also the option to end (fail) the TS so they can start over or check logs, if desired.

Feedback and Knowledge Base