Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Allow right click ad-hoc Powershell execution directly from the console

Allow the import of powershell scripts into ConfigMgr, then allow administrators to right click on devices and collections to immediately execute them and get results. Do this without requiring changes to ports or firewalls, and ideally over the internet through CMG.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Admindjam (Admin, System Center Configuration Manager) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ryan Ephgrave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Split the output streams out. This script:

write-output 'write-output'
    Write-Verbose 'Write-Verbose'
    Write-Debug 'Write-Debug'
    Write-Host 'Write-Host'

$VerbosePreference = 'Continue'
    Write-Verbose 'Write-Verbose when preference set'

returned:

write-output
    Write-Host
    VERBOSE: Write-Verbose when preference set

I'd like at the very least "Output" split out from the other streams. Perhaps a "Output" and then "Verbose Output" which would include things outside of Write-Output, like Azure Automation does.

• Stephen Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give me the results of remote scripts. Also, I'd like to be able to add a column to device view, or otherwise see the last exit code of scripts that I ran. I LOVE the approval mechanism for scripts!

• Scott Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So this functionality is AWESOME in the TP, but i think it could be made even better. I bet most of this is on your list already to do anyway.

1. Allow it to run on single devices instead of needing to be run on a collection. If i want to fix one PC, i dont want to make a single device collection to do it.
    2. To go along with 1, make applicable RBAC controls to limit users to only being able to run scripts on single devices. I want to empower the helpdesk to use this to fix devices, but don't want them rebooting a large collection of devices accidentally
    3. The script right click menu doesn't appear on an opened collection in the left hand menu
    4. I submitted another user voice item for it, but if the intent is to have people edit in the console, some intellisense would be nice :)
    5. Folder support? i know they are divisive but they can be helpful. Didnt see a way to add folders to the scripts node
    6. Powershell cmdlets to import/approve/start scripts
    7. Could this be used as a central repository for scripts similar to how the queries section works? Could see there being some use in having "template" scripts in here for detections and what not that you could pick and choose from when creating a new application.

That's it for now i think :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base